RESIDENTIAL OPERATIONS MANAGER CANDIDATE INFORMATION PACK
UCL is London’s leading multidisciplinary university, with more than 11,000 staff and 38,000 students from 150 different countries.
Founded in 1826 in the heart of London, UCL was the first university in England to welcome students of any class, religion, and the first to welcome women on equal terms with men.
Residential Operations Manager Full-Time (36.5 hours per week)
Grade 9 Responsible to: Director of Student Accommodation
UCL is one of the world’s top universities with an annual turnover exceeding £1 billion. Based in the heart of London, it is a modern, outward-looking institution. At its establishment in 1826, UCL was radical and responsive to the needs of society, and this ethos – that excellence should go hand-in-hand with enriching society – continues today. UCL’s excellence extends across all academic disciplines; from one of Europe’s largest and most productive hubs for biomedical science interacting with several leading London hospitals, to world-renowned centers for architecture (UCL Bartlett) and fine art (UCL Slade School).
THE UCL COMMUNITY
UCL’s staff and former students have included 29 Nobel prizewinners. It is a truly international community: more than one-third of our student body – more than 35,000 strong – come from 150 countries and nearly one-third of staff are from outside the UK. UCL offers postgraduate research opportunities in all of its subjects, and provides more than 200 undergraduate programmes and more than 400 taught postgraduate programmes. Approximately 54% of the student community is engaged in graduate studies, with about 29% of these graduate students pursuing research degrees.
UCL Estates manages the estate and facilities infrastructure from the strategic to the operational, across property acquisition and management, capital projects, engineering and maintenance, environmental sustainability, safety, security, cleaning and including student residences and central room bookings. UCL manages 4,074 student rooms across 21 residences, three which provide catered accommodation, with a further 2,000 rooms held under nomination agreements.
Job Title: Department:
Residential Operations Manager
Student Residential Accommodation Director of Student Accommodation
Grade and Salary: Responsible for:
Key Working Relationships:
Operations within Student Accommodation
Estates team, staff and students within the Student Accommodation portfolio, the team of Wardens and Student Resident Assistants, Reg- istry, Communications and Marketing, Welfare Services, external third party providers and Student Union UCL.
Responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of operational and business processes. The post holder will be based at Bidborough House: 38-50 Bidborough Street: London: WC1H 9BT and may from time to time be required to work at University College London residential sites.
Summary of the Post:
The Residential Operations Manager will be responsible for embedding a culture of continuous improvement and ensuring consistency of service delivery and best practice is driven throughout the business. Working with the Operational Managers and staff as well as the Business Standards Manager to ensure adherence to contractual obligations.
Subordinates: UCL Operational staff within the Accommodation team.
To have strategic responsibility under the guidance of the Director of Student Accommodation for the management of all Student Accommodation within the UCL Student Accommodation Portfolio and third party nominated halls. Ensuring that UCL Student Accommodation meets its mission statement “To be the leading provider of Student Accommodation, within the UK HEI sector, delivering an exceptional student experience.” To influence and support any redevelopment or new development in the Accommodation provision that meets the University’s aims and commercial objectives. To make a positive contribution to the student experience by providing exemplary customer focussed service.
To deputise for and represent the Director of Student Accommodation as required.
• To make a major contribution to the strategic and operational planning of UCL owned and managed student accommodation with regard to service delivery and financial and business performance. • To provide input, drive and monitor operational plans, direction and priority for UCL owned and managed student accommodation delivering performance targets against agreed SLAs and KPIs. • To provide input into nomination agreements with regard to service delivery compliance. • To liaise with third party halls to ensure compliance with nominations agreement. • Proactively promote and liaise/build productive relationships with local residents and community taking this into consideration when assessing all aspects residences operations. • Act as central management point of contact for Operational Managers and staff. • Assist in the design and analysis of management information systems/reports on all site operations and resource management representing in report format on a regular basis. • To support the planning and monitoring of new build and refurbishment projects on all sites and to provide support to Operational Managers, staff and liaison with Project Managers as appropriate. • To be responsible for the continual evaluation of cost effective and efficient services accross the accommodation. • To advise and assist operational Managers and staff with budget management, processes and control. • To ensure the sites provide a summer guest service of a consistently high standard. • Assist with developing and controlling effective and consistent operational and administrative systems across all sites including adherence to all University policy and procedures. • Responsible for ensuring compliance across all sites with regard to UUK Code of Practice. • Ensuring that the teams keep all signage up-to-date and compliant with appropriate branding.
• Support the Business Standards Manager in developing, implementing and monitoring Standard Operating Procedures across all sites. • Provide leadership and direct line management for allocated staff including recruitment and selection, training, welfare and discipline, induction and performance development and review. • To provide strategic direction to and have overall accountability for all line reports in the operation. • To ensure appropriate management cover across all sites. • To assist and advise on the recruitment of posts in accordance with legislation and University policy. • To ensure all staff are effectively managed, to facilitate the resolution of any disputes and to provide objective arbitration in all HR matters. • To chair effective and productive meetings with direct report staff and to ensure all managers have effective and productive meetings with their staff at least once per month. To provide direct briefings to all line reports on University and Estates objectives, developments and provide positive contribution and support as appropriate. • To fully support the Business Standards Manager in with maintenance of necessary procedures and records to ensure full compliance with priority given to H&S throughout all sites. • Support full H&S compliance on all sites including assisting with the provision of necessary training and updates. • To have full understanding of and ensure adherence to the specific University procedures on sustainability including waste management, energy efficiencies and recycling. • Supporting & ensuring consistency of application of University and Student Residential Accommodation procedures across all student residential sites. • Support the Students’ Union and Student Experience Manager on all aspects relating to student life whilst in Student Residential Accommodation.
• Proactively promote and liaise/build productive relationships with local residents and community on all aspects relating to residences. • Support the Business Standards Manager in carrying out operational audits to ensure day to day activity is carried out with adherence to contractual obligations, both internally and with sub-contracted services. • Producing operational performance reports and identifying any areas of weakness. •Working with managers to agree remedial action from audits and follow up to ensure action completed. • In conjunction with the Estates Health & Safety team, carry out Health & Safety and Environmental audits to ensure compliance with UCL policy and procedure. • Identifying best practice within the UCL residential portfolio; and driving this throughout the organisation to ensure a culture of continuous improvement is maintained. • Provide support to the strategic maintenance programme process including monitoring and compliance. • Liaison with the UCL Accommodation senior management team to feedback output from audits. • Working with the UCL Accommodation senior management team to develop business processes and Standard Operating Procedures. • Working with UCL Accommodation senior management team to standardise internal and external communications. • Assist in the production of customer communication literature, newsletters and desk drops with the Student Experience Manager. • Involvement in the maintenance and development of UCL Accommodation CSR policy. • To carry out any related activities as required by the business.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post, and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder. The post-holder will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Director of Department. The post holder will actively follow UCL policies including Equal Opportunities policies and be expected to give consideration within their role as to how they can actively advance equality of opportunity and good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it. UCL Student Residential Accommodation operates a “one team approach” to the delivery of services, therefore post holders will be expected to support and cover staff on other areas of the department. The post holder will be required to work on key University events and periods of high business. Special Conditions Due to the demand on the Service the post holder will be discouraged from taking annual leave during August and September.
This is a specification of the qualifications, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities that are required to effectively carry out the responsibilities of the post (as outlined in the job description) and forms the basis for selecting a candidate. Job Title: Residential Operations Manager - Grade 
Knowledge, Education, Qualifications and Training
• Educated to degree level
• Minimum of 5 years at leadership level within a similar sector
• Experience of working within the higher education sector
• Previous experience in contract and contractor audit and management
• Significant recent experience (likely to be at least 5 years) of managing a business of similar complexity to achieve desired results • Experience of informing strategy and driving and monitoring strategic plans
• Experience of providing leadership to a team of managers to achieve optimum results
• Previous experience working in an operational role
Skills and/or Abilities
• Must be a confident communicator and presenter
• Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills
• Excellent verbal communications skills
• Must possess excellent organisational and planning skills
• Must be able to undertake multi-level tasks and assess key priorities and allocate time accordingly
• Highly customer focussed
• Sound grasp of financial issues and business acumen
• Excellent organisational skills
• Genuine interest in the welfare of residents
• Sound problem solving skills
• Proven ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
• Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to communication
• Strong commercial skills
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends as directed
• Commitment to UCL’s policy of equal opportunities and the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds
• Ability to exercise tact and discretion and display a professional attitude towards colleagues, students and others
• Promote UCL’s values and corporate objectives to colleagues and externally to UCL third party suppliers
Applications should consist of a CV and covering statement outlining key matching experience and rationale for applying for the post which should be sent to; Charlotte MacGregor
020 8892 0115 07852 131 794 email@example.com
Hayley Mintern 020 8892 0115 07530 680 184 firstname.lastname@example.org For a confidential and informal discussion please contact Charlotte MacGregor or Hayley Mintern at The Management Recruitment Group. The Closing date for applications is midnight Sunday 10th December.
66 King William Street London EC4N 7DZ
Regal House 70 London Road Twickenham TW1 3QS Tel 020 8892 0115
111 Piccadilly Manchester M1 2HY
Tel 020 7969 2368
Tel 0161 638 0936Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online