Estates Manager Candidate Information Pack
Welcome to St James Schools
Page 03 Page 04 Page 08 Page 10
The Recruitment Process and How to Apply
Founded in 1975 with the aim of providing a complete education for boys and girls from the age of 4 -18, the three St James Schools are based in London and Surrey. The Junior School and Senior Girls’ School are centrally located together in West London, close to Hammersmith and Kensington Olympia. The Senior Boys’ School is located in a 32 acre site in Ashford, Surrey. Together, St James Schools offer a distinctive approach to education; we aim to provide an environment in which a pupil can discover all that is best within his or her own nature. St James provides the ideal environment for nurturing and enriching the intellectual, emotional and spiritual development of our pupils; thereby creating a balance of academic excellence. Our teachers have excellent subject knowledge and give their time generously to support the well-being and development of their pupils. We all enjoy the stimulating and positive atmosphere, characterised with generosity, kindness, mindfulness and mutual respect, where every member of the St James community is truly valued. I wish you good luck in your application process.
William Wyatt Bursar
Estates Manager: Job Description
Hours: 45 hours per week (Monday to Friday: 07:30 to 16:30). There may be requirements during busy periods to work additional hours and odd weekends.
Location: Kensington Olympia, London Reporting to: Assistant Bursar - Estates Responsible to: Bursar
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
The following duties shall be deemed to be included in the professional duties you may be required to perform:
• Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact. • The Estates Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of all facilities management services of the school estate. The post holder is responsible for ensuring that the school is a well- maintained, safe and secure site for all users. The Estates Manager will ensure high standards of site supervision and effective use of resources to enhance the learning environment for students and staff.
• Management of caretakers • Premises related Health and Safety issues including compliance • Management of maintenance and repairs and facilities care on site • Manage and maintain work schedules and ensure quality control of works completed • Act as Fire Officer • Security of the school sites
• Budget management • Contract management • Project management
Key Tasks: Health and Safety: • Act as the Fire Officer; be responsible for the installation and maintenance of equipment for the protection of, and escape from, fire • Complete Risk Assessments as required and take any corrective actions where necessary • Actively participate in the school Health and Safety Committee meetings • Check sites regularly for any potential Health and Safety issues. Take corrective action where necessary • Ensure the school complies with all current legislation in relation to site safety and facilities management; including the maintenance of appropriate records e.g. fire safety checks • Undertake any other site related Health and Safety work as required • Inform the Assistant Bursar - Estates in a timely manner of critical safety and security issues, and provide routine/progress management reports as required Operational Management: • Supervise the Site team and meet weekly with the Assistant Bursar - Estates to ensure effective communication within the team • Distribute tasks within the Site team according to skill level and availability Building Management: • Maintain and manage a schedule of works to ensure that the site is kept operational. Prioritise work as appropriate • Complete all repair and maintenance tasks within capability as promptly as possible being aware of particular priorities and needs within the school • Maintain and manage the efficiency of installations and plan for electric and gas supply, heating, domestic hot water etc. • Supervise the lighting and ventilation of the Schools buildings • Maintain the school grounds to a high standard; ensure grounds are litter free • Ensure accurate records are kept of all work carried out and liaise with the Assistant Bursar - Estates over prioritising work to be done • Provide lists of suitable contractors for larger maintenance contracts for selection and approval by
the Assistant Bursar - Estates • Monitor the work undertaken • Manage the school minibuses • Attend weekly room allocation meetings • Oversee out of hours activities • Manage the day-to-day security of the school sites
About the Role • Ensure that all works are carried out within the confines of allocated budgets • Monitor and check energy and water consumption to ensure efficiency • Manage the day-to-day contracted cleaning services and periodic deep cleaning routines Site and Security: • Oversee out of hours activities • Manage the day-to-day security of the school sites • Manage the school minibuses • Be main key holder for the school sites
In addition the Estates Manager will be expected to carry out any reasonable instruction given by the Headteachers or such authorised person in order to ensure the efficient running of the school.
Essential: The person appointed will: • Have the ability to relate easily to a wide range of people, through an even temperament • Be a self-starter with strong organisational skills • Have plenty of stamina • Be flexible and adaptable • Have a clear understanding and caring of what a school is about • Be open minded and genuinely interested in developing themselves and their team
• Be able to use their own initiative • Have a clean current driving licence Qualifications and experience: The person appointed will have:
• A current certificate in NEBOSH (Construction) or similar • A qualification recognised within the building/engineering trade • Successful experience over a number of years as a practitioner in a building/engineering trade • Successful management experience • Excellent communication skills • Good IT skills Values: The person appointed will express: • Can do: Must possess a positive attitude and display the ability to identify alternative solutions to problems • Rigorousness: A commitment to achieving the best solutions • Creativity: Endeavour to find new ways of doing things and learn from past experiences St James is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
The Recruitment Process
Application Process For a confidential and informal discussion, please contact our recruitment advisor Rob Cullum at the Management Recruitment Group Rob Cullum T: 020 8892 0115 M: 079 7319 3785 E. email@example.com Applications should consist of a CV and covering statement outlining key matching experience and rationale for applying for the post. Applications will be reviewed and The Management Recruitment Group will undertake preliminary meetings with selected candidates.
The Management Recruitment Group
Regal House 70 London Road Twickenham TW1 3QS Tel: 020 8892 0115 www.mrgpeople.co.uk
10Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker