Teach Children and Youth How to Set Boundaries
• Empower children and youth to trust their ‘gut’ and to be ‘in charge’ of their body.
• All children & youth should know that it is okay to say “No” to unwanted or uncomfortable touch .
• Show children and youth that you respect their boundaries (e.g., respecting your child’s wish
not to receive a big wet kiss from Auntie Fran) and suggest alternative ways to greet family members that doesn’t involve uncomfortable touch.
• Teach children how to set boundaries around unwanted or uncomfortable touch. Emphasizing
the use of a strong assertive voice .
• Let children/youth know that they will never ‘get in trouble’ for setting a boundary.
• Model caring for your own body, and teach children how to care for theirs.
Adapted from: rainn.org
To learn more about Personal Boundaries visit:
Page 20 of 32
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online