Appendix D – POSITION DESCRIPTIONS FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY
Production Coordinator/Technical Specialist
The Production Coordinator/Technical Specialist has the responsibility for the technical operations of a theatre or performing arts center, including lighting, sound, set design and construction, and coordinating necessary maintenance. He or she works with a great deal of independence and exercises independent judgment in performing a wide variety of duties. Because of the operating hours of most facilities, close supervision is not normally required nor expected.
In general, the Production Coordinator/Technical Specialist may do any or all of the following:
• Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, and communications equipment and the maintenance of stage facilities. • Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging and special needs, necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates. • Designs, sets up, maintains and operates lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music and other productions and projects; assists guest designers and arts events with technical matters. • Advises production managers, lighting and sound designers on the technical specifications, costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show and supervises the implementations of approved technical designs.
• Supervises and assists with set and stage construction and management.
• Assists in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteer or paid technical staff, as needed.
• Orients facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitates the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others. • Monitors the condition of equipment, including lighting, sound and rigging equipment; arranges for repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment. • Assists with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies.
• Makes recommendations regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator