Health & Fitness
The Newsletter About Physical Therapy & Personal Training
TAKE CONTROL OF YOURPAIN Natural Ways To Relieve Arthritis Pain
Do you find your knees or hips hurting after sitting for too long? Has bending or squatting, become difficult or even painful? This is a common complaint of people with knee or hip osteoarthritis. Did you know that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says that 1 out of every 2 people will have symptoms of knee osteoarthritis sometime before the age of 85?
INSIDE: • 5 Simple Ways To Relieve Arthritis Pain • Healthy Recipe
• Patient Spotlights • Exercise Essentials
Health & Fitness The Newsletter About Physical Therapy & Personal Training
“FEEL YOUNGER. MOVE FARTHER. GET STRONGER.” Natural Ways To Relieve Arthritis Pain
The incidence of osteoarthritis generally starts to increase after age 35 and decreases one’s ability to perform walking, bending and every day tasks. Osteoarthritis can occur for a variety of reasons: • Normal or abnormal wear and tear on joint cartilage • Injuries that damage cartilage and joints • Diseases that damage cartilage • Lack of joint support from poor muscle strength and tissue flexibility What is Osteoarthritis? Osteoarthritis describes the condition of abnormal wear and tear of cartilage from a joint surface causing bone on bone rubbing. This can be quite painful and occurs more in the knees, hips and ankles. This is due to the fact that these joints bear the weight of your body and have to endure an average of 3,000-6000 steps a day. That is over one million steps / bending and movements a year! Knee osteoarthritis pain is generally felt under the knee cap, but can travel up the thigh or down your lower leg. The pads below your knee generally become thicker and more swollen. At times, your knee may even become slightly swollen or even red. Hip osteoarthritis pain is generally felt in the groin on one side or deep in the buttock. Pain may actually feel better with walking, but become worse after sitting for a few minutes, then trying to move again.
What can be done? Most pain is caused by poor joint movement and strength of the muscles around the joint. This causes instability to the joint and greater pressure on the cartilage causing more inflammation and pain. Physical therapy is the preferred method of treatment, because it discovers the abnormal movement in the joint and naturally corrects it. With hands-on therapy, special strengthening and balance exercises, knee or hip pain can typically be completely relieved. For more information on natural ways to relieve arthritis pain, call us today!
NEED GUIDANCE & DISCIPLINEWHEN WORKING OUT? TRYOURPERSONALTRAINING FORONLY$149FORYOURFIRSTSIXSESSIONS! * New Clients Only, Restrictions Apply journey to a more fit and active lifestyle by working out one-on- one with one of our personal trainers! Refer a friend or family member to Fit 4 Life
today and qualify for a chance to receive a $25 Publix gift card! SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT BY CALLING TODAY! 813-907-7879
That’s right! In addition to our physical therapy services, Fit 4 Life offers personal training! For a limited time, for only $149, you can begin your
If you are experiencing back pain, Fit 4 Life has a 95% success rate! Schedule an appointment today with the best quality therapist in Florida!
5 SIMPLE WAYS TO RELIEVE ARTHRITIS PAIN
1. Exercise This is essential for people suffering from arthritis. It is vital to strengthen muscles, increase flexibility and improve blood flow. Cartilage actually receives its nutrition from joint fluid, so the more you can exercise the better. It is also important to mix between weight bearing and non-weight bearing exercises, such as aquatic exercises or bicycling. A balance between aerobic and strengthening exercises is highly recommended. It is highly recommended that you see a physical therapist first before starting an arthritis exercise regime. Our physical therapists are medical specialists in selecting the right exercises for individuals with arthritis and can teach you how to protect your joints. 2. Vitamins According to the Arthritis Foundation, there are a mix of studies showing some benefits to using glucosomine and chondroitin. Glucosomine is naturally made in the body and helps support the cartilage by retaining water and preventing wear. Additional supplements may help. Some studies show that glucosomine may slow down joint damage. 3. Avoid Inflammatory Foods There are foods that increase the body’s natural inflammation response. Arthritis is a condition of joints that become inflamed. Therefore, by avoiding foods with high fat, fried foods, sodas, high sugar content and processed foods, you help to naturally relieve the inflammation in your body. This helps a number of other systems in your body too. 4. Calcium and Magnesium Many people are deficient in calcium and magnesium. These are vital minerals needed for hundreds of processes in your body. Having enough calcium and magnesium, builds strong bones and reduces irritated nerve endings, decreasing pain. If possible, find supplements that are in powder form that can be easily digested and help your body’s intake of these essential minerals.
5. Sleep Sleep is a time for our body and brain to repair itself. It is important to make sure you are getting enough sleep. 7-8 hours at least to allow your body to repair and decrease pain. When you are tired, your body does not function as well, increasing the inflammatory response and reduces your pain threshold. Physical therapy is one of the best ways to improve your arthritis pain. We help you by reducing pain and inflammation in your joints, then increase your strength and flexibility so your joints are healthier. Call us today for more information on our Arthritis Program and discover how you can live life pain free!
ATTENTION HEALTHY LIFESTYLE SEEKERS Mention or Bring in This Coupon Today For
2 FREE SESSIONS for any new training client
FREE CONSULTATION for any new therapy patient
17419 Bridge Hill Court Tampa, FL, 33647 P: (813) 907-7879
DO I NEED A PRESCRIPTION TO START PHYSICAL THERAPY? No, you don’t. Although we see many patients sent directly by their physician, in the state of Florida, a licensed physical therapist may begin the physical therapy process by performing a full physical therapy evaluation. We will verify benefits for you so that you can get started right away.
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule.
“I am pain-free and have 95% range of motion!” “When I came to Fit 4 Life six months ago, I had a right shoulder injury with virtually no mobility and severe pain. After completing my therapy here, I am pain-free and have 95% range of motion. Fit 4 Life offers very comprehensive physical therapy with a caring staff and knowledgeable therapists. I was treated with dignity in one of their several private therapy rooms, which was very important to me. Everyone is great! Always smiling and willing to help. I am truly going to miss “my friends” here at Fit 4 Life!” – Kim F. “My level of mobility has improved tremendously!” “I want to express my thanks for the wonderful care and treatment I was given during my therapy sessions at Fit 4 Life. The stretching maneuvers and weight-training were very helpful to my physical well-being, my pains are completely gone. My level of mobility has improved tremendously due to the professional attention given to me at all times. I would like to express my sincerest thanks to those involved with my physical healing. Great team and kind-hearted and caring staff! That’s how I see the personnel at Fit 4 Life. Special recognition to Alyssa, Kyle, Josh, Corinne, and Emma for keeping me from having a dull moment throughout my stay at Fit 4 Life! To Alyssa and Corinne, I want to express my sincere gratitude for comforting me when you learned that a dear friend of mine had just had a major heart attack on the way to the clinic. You didn’t have to do what you did…thanks for your special attention, care, ad concern for my well-being during that moment of crisis in my life. Again, thanks to everyone- the receptionists at the front desk, Travis for that one day grueling workout…could hardly walk afterwards. Lol! You all did more than enough to help my speedy recovery and make my treatment bearable.” – Robert B.
equipment, and making sure that each of you gets everything you came for and MORE! If you have not been to Fit 4 Life in a while, I welcome you to come back and see what is going on, say hello, and let us help you achieve your goals. We pride ourselves in offering the safest, most state-of-the-art workout, the latest in technology (still hosting a 95% success rate for low back pain patients) and only offering healthy nutrition plans, no fads. Fads come and go but you can count on Fit 4
A Letter From Travis
Dear Fit 4 Life Clients and Patients, Present and Past,
I want you to know how much I truly care about every one of you! Over the years I have seen so many different people, from those with goal of losing weight to even those who want to walk again because of an accident. I can truly say I have enjoyed meeting, talking, helping, and sharing some great times with each of you! Your success stories are amazing! Over the past 22 years, one thing that I have emphasized a lot with the Fit-4-Life team is the concept of “exchange”. There are several versions of exchange, from exchange in abundance, to fair exchange, and even rip-off. At Fit 4 Life it has been a personal goal to make certain each of you receive an exchange in abundance that leaves you feeling like you received more than you paid for. So often someone will come to me who has experienced others or even sometimes with no other experience at all and comment that “this is the best money spent”. I have taken great pride in hiring the best employees, owning the most effective
Life to be consistent and only offer researched-based programs that work. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please know that I greatly appreciate you and am proud of you. I hope to see you soon!
Sincerely, Travis Monday, President
Eating Right Never Tasted So Good! GOING GREEN DETOX SMOOTHIE, SERVES: 2
INGREDIENTS: • 1 ½ cups of spinach, de-stemmed • ½ cucumber, chopped • 2 stalks of celery, chopped • 1 small lemon, peel removed • 1 ripe frozen banana
• 1 cup of frozen pineapple • 2 tablespoons of chia seeds • ½ -1 teaspoon of vegan protein powder (depending on preference) • 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
• 1 cup of cold, filtered water • 1 handful of ice (optional)
DIRECTIONS: Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
**Recipe Credit: http://www.theglowingfridge.com/bikini-ready-green-detox-smoothie/
Try these exercises to get you moving... QUAD STRETCH PRONE Lie on stomach. Hold ankle with same side hand. Gently pull ankle toward the buttock. You should feel a stretch in the front of your thigh. Hold for 10 seconds then repeat 4 times on both sides.
Exercises copyright of
Stretches Thigh Muscles
PRONE HIP EXTENSION While lying face down with your knee straight, slowly raise up leg off the ground. Hold for 10 seconds then repeat 6 times on both legs.
Loosens Tight Hips
Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing. Think Fit 4 Life FIRST Why You Need To Schedule An Appointment With Our Physical Therapists or Personal Trainers: � Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently & securely It’s Never Too Late To Get Fit & Active!
� Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active & healthy lifestyle
Fit4LifeTampa.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker