THE NEWSLETTER ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND CARING FOR YOUR BODY
MANAGING YOUR SHOULDER, ELBOW&WRIST PAIN ENJOY LIFE’S SPECIAL MOMENTS WITHOUT FEAR OF PAIN
It’s time to say goodbye to elbow, wrist and shoulder pain once and for all. Identifying the cause of your pain and taking steps to combat ill habits that may be contributing to your discomfort can have a significant impact on your quality of life. (continued inside)
• Managing Your Shoulder, Elbow & Wrist Pain • Treating Your Shoulder, Elbow And Wrist Pain
• Patient Success Spotlight • Relieve Shoulder Pain In Minutes
THE NEWSLETTER ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND CARING FOR YOUR BODY NEWSLETTER
MANAGING YOUR SHOULDER, ELBOW & WRIST PAIN ENJOY LIFE’S SPECIAL MOMENTS WITHOUT FEAR OF PAIN
• Treating Your Shoulder, Elbow And Wrist Pain • 5 Summer Vacation Tips For Families
• Patient Success Spotlight • Relieve Shoulder Pain In Minutes
that you can combat that injury by identifying what may have caused the pain to develop in the first place. Common issues that can lead to shoulder, wrist and elbow pain include: • Issues with poor posture • Carpal tunnel syndrome, which can develop from overuse of the wrist and regular, repetitive motions, such as typing • Heavy lifting • Athletic injuries • Muscle sprain and strains • Dislocation or hyperextension of the joints One of the biggest concerns regarding pain in the wrist, elbow and shoulder is that it is difficult to impossible to actually allow these parts of the body time to rest. Every movement and action requires these body parts — and when the pain develops in both arms, as it often does, treating the pain becomes even more complicated. It is impossible to care for your basic needs without involving your shoulder or wrist, let alone get through a day at the office. This is why so many issues regarding pain in the wrists, elbows and shoulders typically become chronic. Since it is difficult to allow these body parts time to properly rest, they continue being overused and the pain can actually worsen.
(continued from outside)
Wave goodbye to pain in your hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders with targeted techniques from your experienced physical therapists. What is Causing the Pain? Think about the tasks that make up the majority of your day-to-day life. It is often said that life in the 21st century is way easier on the body than life during any other time in human history — and it’s true that there is a fair amount of evidence to support this idea. Rather than spending all of your days working in a factory or on a farm, the vast majority of Americans work indoors, often at a computer for a predetermined number of hours week after week. But this new lifestyle isn’t exactly harmless for the body, either. There are plenty of ways in which the common tasks of 21st-century life put the body under a great deal of stress. Sedentary lifestyles frequently contribute to weight gain, which increases your risk for a long list of obesity-related diseases. This puts additional stress on your body, which could result in pain in crucial joints like your shoulders, elbows and yes, even your wrists. But even aside from that, there are a lot of potential issues that your body can face as a result of sedentary behavior in the workplace — including shoulder, elbow and wrist pain. Elbow, wrist and shoulder injuries are especially common as a result of workplace injury and overuse. While it is sometimes possible to take action to prevent an injury from developing, it is especially important to be able to recognize when an injury develops and to understand ways
Treating Your Shoulder, Elbow And Wrist Pain
Addressing the pain early on is the best way to prevent an issue from becoming chronic. Turning to medication and braces for pain management is not a long-term solution and will only push off the inevitable truth — that you need to find a solution for the problem that is causing you pain. Physical therapy is the ideal tool for support in this regard. Working with a physical therapist will provide you with an opportunity to understand what movements may be causing further discomfort, and can help you to strengthen the surrounding muscles while improving range of motion, which together will likely alleviate some of the pain associated with your injury. Don’t assume that pain in your elbows, wrists or shoulders will go away on its own. It is more common for the pain to worsen, and compensating for the pain by overusing the opposite arm can cause further injury to develop. For support with learning how to manage the pain, and to learn exercises and techniques that can help you overcome the injury and restore proper strength and functionality to your shoulders, wrists and elbows, contact your physical therapist. If you are suffering with shoulder, elbow, or wrist pain, call us today to learn more about how we can relieve your pain, returning you to a more active, pain-free life!
Relieve Shoulder Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing shoulder pain.
Berry-Almond Smoothie Bowl
INGREDIENTS • ⅔ cup frozen raspberries • ½ cup frozen sliced banana • ½ cup plain unsweetened almond milk • 5 tbsp sliced almonds, divided • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon • ⅛ tsp ground cardamom • ⅛ tsp vanilla extract • ¼ cup blueberries • 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
POSTERIOR SHOULDER STRETCH Sit or stand with good posture. Reach across your chest. Use your other arm to pull a little bit further. Repeat 7 times on both sides.
INSTRUCTIONS Blend raspberries, banana, almond milk, 3 tablespoons almonds, cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla in a blender until very smooth. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with blueberries, the remaining 2 tablespoons almonds and coconut.
CALL TODAY! (480) 807-9000
Patient Success Spotlight
5 Summer Vacation Tips For Families
1. Choose the right destination for your family. Discuss ideas for travel destinations and what to do during your free time; be sure each person has something to look forward to on the trip. All-inclusive resorts are a great option, with activities for kids, spas for parents, and beaches and pools for the whole family to enjoy together. 2. Stick to your budget. Don’t blow your annual vacation budget in April and May if you plan to escape in the summer! Also allot a separate amount of money for the inevitable splurge purchases. 3. Protect yourself and your home. Do not state that your home is vacant during your trip. Instead, tell trustworthy friends and family that you’ll be traveling, and ask them to visit your house once or twice to ensure there is no suspicious activity. 4. Make reservations for special experiences. Many attractions allow you to buy tickets online beforehand (usually at a discounted price). If you have plans to dine at a popular restaurant, make reservations at least a month or more in advance. 5. Keep the kids on a routine. Don’t get too far away from your daily habits while traveling. Bedtimes should obviously be extended, but don’t over do it or falling asleep on school nights will be tough once you’re back at home.
“I felt like I got the attention I needed!” “I loved Kempton Physical Therapy. All the staff and therapists were great and I felt like I got the attention I needed! I will definitely go back if I need more therapy in the future.” - S.F. Discover How To Live Pain Free! At Kempton Physical Therapy, you will receive hands-on therapy treatments by our friendly, caring health experts during focused and individualized sessions.
FREE ARM PAIN CONSULTATION!
1. CALL AND TALK TO YOUR THERAPIST
2. DISCOVER WHY YOUR PAIN HAS COME BACK
(480) 807-9000 CALL NOW TO SCHEDULE!
3. GET YOUR CUSTOM RECOVERY PROGRAM
6960 East Broadway Road Mesa, AZ 85208 Mesa
1100 North Broad Street Globe, AZ 85501 Globe
FIND US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Call to schedule. Expires 5-31-19Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook HTML5