OVERCOMING HIP, LEG, & KNEE PAIN A L S O I N S I D E : NATURAL WAYS TO BEAT SPRING ALLERGIES • HEALTHY RECIPE • EXERCISE ESSENTIALS PATIENT SUCCESS SPOTLIGHT • FREE CONSULTATION OFFER!
H E A L T H+WE L L N E S S N EWS L E T T E R
OVERCOMING HIP, LEG, & KNEE PAIN
PATIENT SUCCESS SPOTLIGHT
Your hips, knees, and lower legs are tough—but injuries happen. Your hips and knees are your largest joints, supporting your body’s weight. They work in close coordination, giving us the mobility we need. Between arthritis, injuries and age, however, pain can flare up. If you’re experiencing hip, knee or leg pain, call us to schedule a closer look. Before you do, however, let’s examine the pain itself. WHAT CAUSES HIP, KNEE, AND LEG PAIN? Hip, knee and leg pain are surprisingly common. Thus, their source can come from a variety of things. If you’re experiencing pain in any part of your leg, pinpointing the exact spot can help you determine the cause. Physical therapists have pinpointed several leading causes of hip, knee and leg pain. While many causes exist, the most likely are:
Lisa DeVlieg is the absolute best!
“Lisa DeVlieg is the absolute best! I first met her after my first ACL reconstruction surgery and found her immediately at Eastside Sports Rehab after tearing my other ACL and meniscus. Lisa has always pushed me to give 100% in order to get back to what I love. My second recovery has been filled with laughter and hard work by all of the physical therapists and staff who support me at Eastside Sports Rehab.” - Rosie
• Tendonitis • Pinched nerves • Osteoporosis • Cancer
• Arthritis • Dislocation • Hip fracture • Sprains and strains
OVERCOMING HIP, LEG, & KNEE PAIN
HOW PHYSICAL THERAPY CAN HELP In many cases, physical therapy can help patients increase leg mobility. In doing so, they can stretch, flex and strengthen the muscles responsible for support. If a joint appears deformed, or if sudden swelling occurs, contact a physician immediately. A good physical therapy program can assist with post-operation treatment, too. If you’ve undergone treatment for osteoporosis, dislocation or a fracture, your therapist can help you reclaim full mobility—and a healthy lifestyle. From start to finish, we’re dedicated to your ongoing wellness. On every level, physical therapy serves to enhance the patient’s quality of life. We’re here to help, and we have years of experience backing every therapy option. Contact one of our providers today, and tell us about your symptoms.
While some causes are more severe than others, a physician can identify each. As the body ages, joints become inflamed. Cartilage may wear down, reducing the “buffer” between bones. In some cases, limited blood flow may cause bone tissue death, or necrosis. If you’re experiencing redness, inflammation and immobilized joints, the condition may be severe. WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS? While leg pain is noticeable by a slew of symptoms, several stick out. Aching or stiffness around the hip, groin, back or thigh may be a sign of deeper problems. A decreased range of motion can also be a sign of deeper problems which may later result in hip, knee or leg pain. Sometimes, inactivity can contribute to immobility—and later pain. If you’re limping, lurching or are experiencing bad balance, contact a physician. While some hip, knee and leg pains go away, those lasting longer than several months may be hinting at a deeper issue.
Learn more by calling 425.576.8180 or visiting eastsidesportsrehab.com today!
https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/hip-pain/basics/when-to-see-doctor/sym-20050684 https://www.everydayhealth.com/hip-pain/hip-pain-and-your-body.aspx https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/knees-and-hips-a-troubleshooting-guide-to-knee-and-hip-pain
Perform This Exercise To Improve Leg Strength In Minutes!
REDEEM THIS COUPON FOR A FREE CONSULTATION! Call Eastside Sports & Rehabilitation at 425.576.8180 or visit our website at eastsidesportsrehab.com to schedule! “got pain?”
RUNNER’S STEP Stand in front of a box or step that is below the level of the knee. Step up onto the box and bring the opposite leg up towards your chest. Lower your leg down in a controlled manner. Repeat 6-10 times, alternating legs.
NATURAL WAYS TO BEAT ALLERGIES Spring is in the air, but so are heavy amounts of pollen and allergens, clouding your senses and making your day-to-day outings and once- enjoyable spring picnics and cookouts miserable. If you’re tired of allergens getting the best of you and your spring fun, try some of these tips to resolve your allergies naturally without the use of allergy medicine or prescriptions. to relieve these symptoms. One study found that people who took biminne five times a day for 12 weeks still felt the benefits a year later!
3. TWEAK YOUR HOME. Simple changes in the home can make a difference. Shut all the windows to keep out pollen. Instead of using a fan that draws in air from the outside, use an air conditioner to cool your home on warmer days. Keep allergens outside by taking off your shoes at the door and asking guests to do the same. Lastly, don’t allow smoking inside the home, as smoking can worsen allergy symptoms. Don’t let allergies keep you from enjoying your spring vacation and missing out on family fun! If you’re looking for ways to eliminate allergy symptoms without using drugs, you have options!
1. LIMIT YOUR TIME OUTDOORS. Each spring, trees release billions of tiny pollen grains into the air. When you happen to breathe those granules into your nose and lungs, they can trigger an allergic reaction, ranging anywhere from simple sneezes to wheezing or even lightheadedness. Pollen counts are highest on windy days and in the early morning hours, so limiting your time outside during those hours can spare you much of those symptoms.
2. GET NATURAL RELIEF. Another helpful solution for allergies is using herbal remedies. Extracts and herbal formulas such as butterbur or the chinese biminne is rumored
INGREDIENTS • 20 medium mushrooms • 1/4 cup chopped shallots, scallions or onion
• 1/2 tsp soy sauce • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach • 1/2 cup Plain Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt • Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
DIRECTIONS Wash the mushrooms and carefully remove the stems without breaking the caps. Finely chop the stems. Combine the shallots, garlic and vinegar in a small skillet or saucepan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chopped mushroom stems and soy sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mushrooms soften and release their juices. Add the spinach and cook, continuing to stir, until it is wilted and the liquid in the pan is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes, then stir in the yogurt. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Stuff the spinach filling into the mushroom caps. Place the mushrooms in a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes for the filling to set before serving. Yields 20 mushrooms.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker