Victim Impact Statement Booklet

It’s possible you may not want the offender to go to prison. You have the right to state that as well. In addition to asking for a specific sentence, you may request that the court order the offender to do certain things in prison or while on probation (monitored by a community program rather than going to prison) or parole (monitored by a community program after being released from prison). Violation of the conditions of probation or parole can result in the offender going to, or back to prison. What would you like the court to do to help you feel safer when the offender returns to the community? Consider including requests in your Victim Impact Statement that will make you feel safer. A list of items that a judge can order in court (not exhaustive): • No alcohol or other drug use • Submit to random alcohol or other drug testing • Alcohol or other drug treatment • Pay for mandatory urinalysis • Participate in Victim Awareness Classes in prison (if available) • Attend Victim Impact Panels or classes if returned to the community (if available) • Have no contact with the victim or the victim’s family • Pay full or partial restitution. Some victims require only a small amount paid every week to remind the offender of the crime. • Place the victim’s photo in the prison cell. Judges may not order this unless the victim requests. • Restrictions on where the offender can live in the community • Perform community service and/or make a donation to an agency that relates to the crime, such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving. In these cases, however, both the victim and the agency must agree to the community service placement before it is ordered. • Electronic monitoring via an ankle bracelet • Installation of an ignition interlock or in-car breathalyzer on automobiles


Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter