Preventing Substance Impaired Driving and Child Endangerment

Know Who You Can Call Contact Local Law Enforcement

If the person of concern continues to drive while substance impaired in spite of your efforts, call the police immediately after he or she leaves and give a description of the car, the driver, and the direction of travel. This can be done anonymously. Be aware that law enforcement agencies vary widely in their interest and ability to respond to such calls, but many law enforcement agencies will make an effort to locate the vehicle. If they do spot it, they will be able to

Call law enforcement

pull the car over only if they have probable cause to do so. This means the police officer must observe the vehicle being

to report a substance impaired driver.

driven in such a way that the officer believes the driver may be intoxicated. In most states, your phone call alone will not be enough for the officer to justify stopping the car. Many states have a toll-free hotline for reporting suspected drunk drivers. Your State Highway Patrol or State Police can tell you if such a number is available in your state. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Public Safety If you have reason to believe that a person has provided false information to obtain a fraudulent driver’s license, call either the Department of Motor Vehicles or the Department of Public Safety in your state and report this information. Lying or failing to provide accurate information in order to obtain a license is a criminal offense punishable by license revocation and/or jail.

Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker