Preventing Substance Impaired Driving and Child Endangerment

of probation are largely determined by the judge who hears the case. Parole is similar, except that parolees have spent time in jail or prison prior to release. If released before completion of the sentence, they spend the remainder of their sentence on parole. A person who violates one or more of the required elements of probation or parole runs the risk of having their probation or parole revoked and going to jail or prison to serve the remainder of their sentence. If the person is on probation or parole, even for a different offense, and continues to drive while substance impaired, contact their

probation or parole officer to report this illegal activity. This is especially important if the person has been

Report illegal activity.

recently ticketed or arrested for a related offense.

Reporting someone you care about to the authorities can be a very painful step. In the long run, however, it may be more loving than taking no action, and implying by your silence that you support the substance impaired driving. Install an Ignition Interlock Device on Your Vehicle If the person who drives while substance impaired is driving your vehicle, consider voluntarily having an ignition interlock device installed on your car. An ignition interlock device prevents people from driving drunk by not allowing the person to start the vehicle if they are at or above the level set by state law, usually a .02 or a .04 BAC. If your name

Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker