Preventing Substance Impaired Driving and Child Endangerment

What Can Be Done to Help Protect Children? A separation agreement or divorce decree may include mandatory provisions that: • Prohibit drunk driving, or driving under the influence of other drugs, by either parent when they are transporting their minor children. • Prohibit friends of the parent from driving the child after using alcohol and/ or other drugs. • Prohibit the child from blowing into an ignition interlock device, if the parent has the device on his/her vehicle. • Prohibit the parent from exercising their visitation privileges if there is evidence of substance impairment when the child is picked up or delivered. Parents who believe that the child’s other parent may show up substance impaired often choose a local police station as the location for dropping off and picking up the children. General consequences for Seek the courts

assistance in keeping the child safe.

failing to abide by the agreement should be stipulated in writing. Motion to Modify

The issue is more complex in cases of divorce. Often, one parent is trying to protect the child from the substance impaired driving behavior of the other parent. Some parents have successfully modified custodial and visitation agreements due to an ex-spouse’s history of substance impaired driving; others have found the courts reluctant to amend


Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker