Civil ceremonies with Tower Hamlets Register Office

Notices of Marriage and Civil Partnerships


This is a legal requirement which must be completed at least 29 days prior to the ceremony. In certain cases, depending on your immigration status, this may be extended to 71 days. Therefore, we advise that wherever possible you give notice at least three - six months prior to your ceremony. You can only give notice after you’ve finalised your date and location. A notice of marriage is valid only for the venue named on the notice. While it may be possible to alter the date of your marriage, a change of location would require a fresh notice and fee. Please make sure that you have selected and checked availability for both the venue for your ceremony and registrars before placing your notices of marriage.

Sometimes people may get confused between marriage and civil partnership, thinking that civil partnership is the same as a civil marriage. Please ensure you know the difference between a marriage and civil partnership before making a booking.

Please check by visiting the government website: marriage-and-civil-partnership-in-england-and-wales Both parties must make an appointment at the register office to give their legal notice of intention to marry or intention to enter a civil partnership. Please refer to our website for the requirements.


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online