DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Introduction. ......................................... 1-2
About The Trust..................................... 3-6
About Essentia...................................... 7-8
Investing in World Class Facilities........... 9-12
The Role................................................ 13-21
Working at Essentia and GSTT............... 22
Senior Leadership Team......................... 23-24
Application Process. .............................. 25-26
Thank you for your interest in the Director of Operations at Essentia. Guy’s & St Thomas’ is one of the largest hospital trusts in the country, with around 17,000 staff, an annual turnover of more than £1.6 billion, and over 2.6 million patient contacts a year. Our hospitals have a long and proud history, dating back almost 900 years, and have been at the forefront of medical progress and innovation since they were founded. We continue to build on these traditions and have a reputation for clinical, teaching and research excellence. Essentia is part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (GSTT). Responsible for non- clinical healthcare services, Essentia designs, builds and maintains healthcare infrastructure vital to the smooth running of healthcare services. This encompasses everything from construction projects and healthcare planning to housekeeping, transport and security. Essentia employs around 1,700 people, who provide essential facilities management support to clinical teams. It combines exceptionally high standards and public sector values with commercial focus, innovative thinking and modern technology to create the best possible patient experience. This role of Director of Operations is key to achieving Essentia’s strategic ambitions and an influential part of the Essentia senior leadership team and Trust Operations Board, with a specific remit for leading essential, high-quality operational services across the Essentia portfolio.
Reporting to the Director of Essentia, the Director of Operations takes senior strategic leadership responsibility for all operational services in Essentia, including the teams responsible for the delivery of services to the Trust and other external partners and clients. The in-house operational service provided by high performing and customer focused services teams (consisting of some 1550 staff) within Essentia includes engineering and building maintenance, infrastructure planning, catering, housekeeping, patient transport, security, clinical sterilisation, waste management and other non-clinical services essential to the safe operation of acute and community healthcare services. Whilst leading these services the Director of Operations also deputises for the Director of Essentia in the leadership of all activities undertaken by Essentia. We are seeking an individual with a proven track record of leading best in class operational estates and facilities management services across large scale, complex, high- footfall estates portfolios. You with be an enthusiastic, inspiring and inclusive leader, with demonstrable experience of leading and motivating large scale teams from senior managers through to operational service delivery professionals. An aptitude and track record for driving continuous performance improvement of operational service delivery is also key. The role offers the opportunity to lead best in class operational estates and facilities services provision across one of the UK’s largest healthcare portfolios and in turn make a fantastic difference to so many. If you share our values and aspire to meet the challenge to deliver world class, inspiring healthcare environments, we look forward to receiving your application.
Alastair Gourlay, Director of Essentia
Candidate Brochure 2
Director of Operations
About the Trust
Guy’s and St Thomas’ is among the UK’s busiest and most successful NHS foundation
Delivering the future of innovation Our values ave been developed in close collaboration with staff who strive to pr vide our patients with exceptional care every day. Our Values to patients and staff drive everything we do
trusts. We provide a full range of hospital and community services for people in Lambeth, Southwark and
Our masterplan development timeline below sets out the key milestones for the Trust and University in the future. It sets out the scale of our ambition, building on a history of innovation that predates the founding of the NHS.
Lewisham, as well as specialist care for patients from further afield including cancer, renal, orthopaedic and cardiovascular services .
Put paitients first
Wolfson Centre for Age-Related Diseases opens at Guy’s
Guy’s is home to the largest dental school in Europe and a £160 million Cancer Centre opened in 2016. As part of our commitment to provide care closer to home, in 2017 we also opened a cancer centre and
KCL and GSTT establish NIHR-funded Biomedical Research Centre
T k pride in what we do
King’s Health Partners established as one of five UK Academic Health Science Centres
Cell & Gene Therapy Catapult established in Guy's Tower
Guy's Cancer Centre completed
a kidney treatment centre at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup. St Thomas’ has one of the largest critical care units in the UK and one of the busiest emergency departments in London. It is also home to Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
KCL publish “Vision 2029” setting out objectives including the establishment of MedTech and Biomedical Clusters with GSTT Contract signed with J&J to establish an Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence at Guy's
Strive to be the best
Joint estates development plan published
Expansion of Evelina Children’s hospital New Research & Learning Building at Guy’s Act with integrity
Evelina London cares for local children in Lambeth and Southwark and provides specialist services across south east England including cardiac, renal and critical care services. We lead a number of specialist service networks aiming to ensure children are treated locally where possible, but have access to specialist expertise when they need
12 Building Healthier Futures
Building Healthier Futures 13
it. Our community services include health visiting, school nursing and support for families of children with long-term conditions. The Duchess of Cambridge became the Patron of Evelina London in 2018.
Candidate Brochure 4
Director of Operations
About the Trust continued
Our year in numbers 2018-2019
Our adult community services teams deliver care at the heart of the local communities we serve, working in partnership with GPs, local authorities and other healthcare and voluntary sector organisations. In 2019 we combined adult community services with acute medicine and therapy services to create Integrated Care, a new strategic
218,000 emergency and urgent care attendances
business unit. Working with our partners in Lambeth and Southwark, we are focusing on new ways of working to improve care for local patients.
We have a reputation for clinical excellence and high quality teaching and research. We are part of King’s Health Partners, one of six accredited UK Academic Health Sciences Centres. In partnership with King’s College London we have dedicated clinical research facilities and a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre.
More than 796,000 patient contacts in community services
Patients are at the heart of everything we do and we pride ourselves on ensuring the best possible patient experience as well as safe, high quality care. We are proud to have one of the lowest mortality rates in the NHS. Following a comprehensive Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection in 2019 we maintained our overall rating of ‘good’. Our adult community services achieved a rating of ‘outstanding’.
1.38 million outpatients
6,492 babies born
123,000 day cases
over £1.6 billion annual turnover
The commitment of our 17,100 staff is key to our success. We are one of the largest local employers and we aim to develop and support all our staff so they are able to deliver high quality, safe and efficient care. The 2018 NHS staff survey results show that we have one of the most engaged and motivated workforces in the NHS. We know this has a positive impact on the care provided to our patients. We have one of the most ambitious capital investment programmes anywhere in the NHS.
around 17,100 staff
2.6 million patient contacts
Candidate Brochure 6
Director of Operations
Essentia strives to be a great place to work, grow and build a career.
Our vision is to provide the best service possible within the resources available, to be the estates, facilities and capital management provider of choice in south London and beyond, and to develop innovative approaches to improve the health estate.
THE ESSENTIA WAY
THE ESSENTIA WAY IS
The Essentia way is
Looking after each other
Essentia provides in-house Estates, Facilities and Capital Management for Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundatioan Trust, as well as services for other local NHS providers in both the acute and community setting. The context within which Essentia works is changing, and at pace. There is an unprecedented appetite for collaboration between Trusts, within the Integrated Care System (ICS, formerly STP) and beyond, and growing interest in Essentia the organisation of choice for the successful management of high quality estates and facilities services.
Doing it well
Candidate Brochure 8
Director of Operations
We have one of the most ambitious capital investment programmes anywhere in the NHS.
Most recently we have delivered the £160 million state of the art Cancer Centre at Guy’s Hospital.
INVESTMENT IN WORLD CLASS FACILITIES
The new Cancer Centre at Guy’s was designed by Award-winning architects Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners and specialist healthcare architect Stantec were chosen for their innovative design based around a series of ‘villages’ that give the 14-storey building a human scale
Click photo to see NHS Guy’s and St.Thomas Cancer Centre information website
Candidate Brochure 10
Director of Operations
A Biomedical Cluster at our London Bridge site (including Guy’s Hospital) focused on advanced therapies, cellular medicine, cancer and biomedical sciences - building on the success of the Guy’s Cancer
Looking to the future we have a once in a generation opportunity to build a platform for sustainable future healthcare and develop world-leading healthcare, Biomedical and MedTech clusters in the heart of London
Further capital investment in our
A MedTech Cluster at our Westminster Bridge site (including St Thomas’s Hospital), building on the Trust’s existing strengths in emergency care, diagnostic imaging, paediatrics and
Centre and Guy’s Tower as centres for advanced therapies research.
community healthcare estate portfolio , thus enabling better integrated care for our communities, closer to where people live, by improving digital mobility of staff and diagnostic tools, encouraging people to manage their own health, and providing a network.
cardiovascular care and the University’s cardiovascular, imaging and healthcare engineering research.
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE PLANS
A c.£200m expansion of Evelina London Children’s Hospital, providing the full continuum of specialist care and delivering a comprehensive children’s hospital for London.
A partnership with Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust that will transform specialist cardiovascular care for London and the UK.
The Trust will plan and deliver an estate that will be fit for purpose for decades to come, by designing “shell and core” buildings which can adapt quickly and easily to different uses, so that we can refit them every 10-15 years, depending on our needs. This is not a one-off exercise, but a sustained strategy of investment and growth that is financially sustainable over the long-term. Healthcare is rapidly changing. In the future the treatments and technologies available to patients may be radically different. We need buildings that are designed with a degree of flexibility and future-proofing. We aim to treble the amount of space across our estate from the current 381,000 sqm to 1.1M sqm by 2050. Space not required by the Trust and King’s Health Partners will be available to research institutions and life science industry partners, including startups and SMEs. Co-location of these uses is central to the development of our MedTech and Biomedical Clusters model.
New MedTech Cluster by 2040
Candidate Brochure 12
Director of Operations
Director of Operations
Job Title Director of Operations, Essentia Responsible To Director of Essentia Responsible For All Essentia Operational Services Salary VSM
An influential member of the Essentia senior
leadership team and Trust Operations Board achieving Essentia’s strategic ambitions, with a specific remit for leading essential, high-quality operational services across the Essentia portfolio.
Job Summary This role is key to achieving Essentia’s strategic ambitions. The post-holder is a key member of the Essentia senior leadership team, working closely with the Director of Performance and Improvement, and a member of the Trust Operations Board and TME. The Postholder: • Provides senior strategic leadership to all operational services in Essentia, including the teams responsible for the delivery of services to the Trust and other external partners and clients. The in-house operational service provided by Essentia includes engineering and building maintenance, infrastructure planning, catering, housekeeping, security, clinical sterilisation and other non-clinical services essential to the safe operation of acute and community healthcare services. • Ensures the provision of excellent, comprehensive and integrated operational services, through robust performance management to high operating standards, and an effective interface with the Trust. • Is responsible for compliance across all operational services, including risk management, sustainability and employee engagement. • Drives forward the operational performance of Essentia by developing a culture of continuous improvement. • Acts as deputy to the Director of Essentia across the full range of their duties.
Candidate Brochure 14
Director of Operations
• Together with the Director of Performance and Improvement lead the transformation of operational services through implementing “The Essentia Way” operational service standards driven through excellence in staff engagement and the use of performance data to drive improvement and compliance. • Ensure that change plans are translated into embedded working practices which improve outcomes, support the delivery of services and achieve demonstrable value for money. • Focus direct reports on performance and outcomes, ensuring that performance standards are achieved and instilled via a culture of continuous improvement, safety, innovation and value for money. • Ensure, through direct reports and their teams, that Essentia operates safely, manages risk and delivers against all key performance targets for both the Trust and external clients and partners. • Embed a culture in which decisions are delegated to as near to where the service is delivered as possible. • Support and develop service and site teams to take greater ownership and accountability for their services and management of people and resources to improve them, their productivity and above all improve the patient experience. • Oversee and participate in the organisation’s operational duty rota, leading by example and ensuring that operational team colleagues also participate. • Work with the Chief Operating Officer of Guy’s and St Thomas’ to ensure that Trust service agreements and standards are delivered and reported upon. • Work with the Chief Nurse and her office to ensure Essentia front-line staff remain integral members of the clinical teams and contribute positively to high-quality patient experience, safety and infection control. • Ensure robust employee engagement arrangements are in place including the preparation and analysis of annual staff survey to inform areas that require improvement through the Essentia Way programme. Financial Management • Maximise the income achieved by Operational teams, while controlling expenditure and ensure that the individual services are financially viable, meet agreed budgets and cost saving targets. • Develop and deliver against a business and financial plan for operational services that differentiates between services that require investment, cost reduction or maintaining. • Manage the client site service structure to embed a culture of autonomy and accountability for costs in the delivery of operational services, including a robust system of earned autonomy. • Be accountable for the financial performance of all Essentia operational areas against plan and actively forecast potential variations to budget.
THE ROLE CONTINUED
Key Relationships • Essentia executive colleagues • Trust Chief Operating Officer and Directors of Operations • Trust Chief and Deputy Chief Nurse • Other Trust executives and clinical directors including SBU leadership teams • Senior stakeholders in clients, external partners and suppliers
Role Dimensions Essentia Operations Budget: Turnover £90m Essentia Operations Employees: Approx 1,700 employees
Operational Management and Service Delivery • Formulate business plans for short, medium and long term configuration of operational services across Essentia and lead on the delivery of those plans. This would include the move towards the Trust operating on a consistent service basis every day of the week. • Strategically develop and manage the delivery of non-clinical support services to Guys and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, ICS partner organisations, and other external clients and partners whilst driving up the quality of services provided within financial constraints, maintaining and building on high standard and responsive services. Ensure transparency of costs to all customers for services delivered. • Create clear lines of accountability for service provision and performance and set clear and measurable objectives for operations, in terms of financial, quality, safety and service targets.
Candidate Brochure 16
Director of Operations
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES CONTINUED
• Be responsible for providing operations business performance reporting to the Trust Board and to other partners or clients: working with the Director of Performance and Improvement to report via the corporate governance channels. • Develop plans in conjunction with other Essentia Directors to maximise income generation from existing and potential operations assets/capability. • Drive the delivery of cost targets via direct reports to achieve improved operational and process performance, supported by comprehensive and robust data and reporting. • Work with the Director of Performance and Improvement and the Finance team to plan the annual budget provision for operational services reflecting business targets and service offerings with clearly delineated, auditable budgets and financial performance measures. • Play a lead role in business planning. • Ensure operational teams are managed to the Trust’s Standing Financial Instructions and ensure they are applied in all cases. In particular, contracts are to be managed with the highest standards of probity and good practice. Performance Management • Drive a culture of high performance standards in hard and soft FM through effective management and monitoring across all areas via the use of operational plans and real time data and reporting, with agreed annual, quarterly and monthly targets. • Ensure that business processes and capability are streamlined to maximise the benefits of working across varying service teams, where there are specific patient and cost benefits. • Focus all services on performance and outcomes for patients, ensuring that agreed performance standards are achieved and instilling a culture of continuous performance improvement, innovation and efficiency. Apply a similarly rigorous approach to the provision of service to Essentia external clients and partners. • Ensure that all agreed operational targets and service level agreements in place with the Trust, partners and clients are met, with specific emphasis on performance, quality and achieving best value. Put in place recovery plans where performance falls below agreed performance standards. • Keep the Directors of Essentia, Board of Directors, Trust Chief Operating Officer and external partners and clients up to date with operational performance through regular and exception reporting. • Ensure the effective monitoring and management of operational risk in Essentia service teams and client sites and liaise with the Director of Performance and Improvement on risk management.
Team Management • Ensure that team structures and individuals employed within the various services are organised to achieve maximum effectiveness in delivering Trust, SBU and Essentia objectives. • Develop and lead a team that will drive and support high performing business performance based on sound and relevant data. • Ensure that an effective performance management system operates for individuals at all levels. • Ensure that staff are effectively managed and developed within a performance appraisal framework including personal development plans, to ensure an efficient, engaged and highly motivated workforce. • Ensure that all staff within operational services comply with Trust and Essentia policies and procedures. • Ensure compliance with all mandatory training and optimal completion of Trust/NHS staff surveys. Leadership and Organisational Development • Actively lead and promote good communication and employee engagement throughout the Essentia workforce, exemplifying the values and behaviours of the Trust and the Essentia Way. • Provide leadership to Essentia staff, encouraging ‘one team’ working and breaking down management barriers and divisions that have developed over time across Essentia. • Lead the reconfiguration of working practices and strategic resource levels required to achieve on going optimum flexibility in the workforce to service anticipated and existing business, with a particular focus on supporting 7 day clinical operations. • Invest in the development of all directly accountable employees. • Ensure the implementation of consistent performance management for all employees. • Work with the Head of Investment and Resources and other colleagues in HR and Finance to ensure that workforce plans match and anticipate performance, service and activity levels. • Provide visible leadership to promote a fair and just culture that ensures that Essentia is responsive to the needs of diverse staff. • Contribute to talent management and succession planning across Essentia.
Candidate Brochure 18
Director of Operations
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES CONTINUED
Corporate Responsibilities • Be a key member of the team setting and delivering the long-term strategic estate development agenda for the Trust. • Deputise for the Director of Essentia as and when required across the full range of his/ her responsibilities. • Represent Essentia at Trust level senior management meetings. • Represent Essentia and the Trust at ICS, Regional and National levels as and when required. • Actively promote and champion the equality, diversity and inclusion ambitions of the Trust and Essentia. • Contribute fully to Essentia corporate management and strategic development together with other executive colleagues as an active participant in the Executive Team and in presenting to the Trust Board and external partners and customers. • Participate, and on occasion lead, negotiations with external providers and enhance the Essentia brand working in conjunction with other colleagues. • Participate in the performance management of Essentia at corporate level and act as the Executive lead regarding operational performance, supported by the Director of Performance and Improvement. • Take responsibility for the delivery of specific change and transformation projects on behalf of the Director of Essentia. Personal Development • Ensure that professional knowledge is continuously updated and training undertaken if appropriate. • Participate in an annual performance review process where objectives will be agreed, performance monitored and personal development needs discussed. Other • From time to time, to provide support to Essentia colleagues undertaking other duties as required, which are consistent with the grade and nature of the post. The role includes work on special projects as they arise. • Strict adherence to departmental health and safety regulations and requirements.
Qualifications/Education Relevant Masters or MBA qualification, or equivalent professional qualification or experience. Evidence of continued professional and managerial development Professional Registration Relevant professional registration Previous Experience Extensive, successful track record of managing large and complex services and teams across a range of disciplines Track record of delivering and meeting key operational and financial targets Experience of formulating long term, organisation-wide strategic plans and development of projects resulting in positive value for money outcomes Experience of organisation-wide policy and service development, interpreting legislative and other requirements Experience of leading and managing change to improve performance against KPIs. Expert knowledge of the planning, scheduling and management of operational systems within a complex environment Knowledge Excellent understanding and specialist knowledge of the healthcare environment Knowledge and application of change management & organisational development tools and techniques Highly developed communication skills, with ability to communicate highly complex information where exceptional influencing skills are required.
• Any other duties appropriate to the role.
• Requirement to work at any other site used by the Trust, partners or clients.
Candidate Brochure 20
Director of Operations
WORKING FOR ESSENTIA AND GSTT
PERSON SPECIFICATION CONTINUED
At Guy’s and St Thomas’ you’ll be surrounded by an exceptional team of supportive colleagues. Their skill, passion and pride in what they do will inspire you and their encouragement will give you confidence. Our staff surveys tell us that people enjoy working here. We consistently feature as one of the top trusts in the country to work for and are proud to have the Investors in People Gold Standard. As a member of Essentia and GSTT staff, you’ll be provided with a competitive salary and pension scheme, generous annual leave (see below) as well as benefiting from excellent training and development opportunities. However, we are acutely aware that there are other considerations important to you. With this in mind, we provide numerous other attractive benefits to help actively encourage a positive, diverse, healthy and family friendly culture in our workplace. We offer a wide range of great benefits and services for staff, including: • sports and social club • staff gym at St Thomas’ Hospital and a 25m swimming pool at Guy’s Hospital • subsidised on-site nursery and childcare vouchers • on-site cinemas for patients and staff • a comprehensive staff health and well-being programme, ‘5 ways to a healthier YOU’ 1. weekly lunchtime walking group 2. ride to work scheme 3. employee assistance programme 4. free staff counselling service 5. free stop smoking service. When you start working for the NHS you receive the following days annual leave, pro-
Skills & Abilities Highly developed leadership skills with the ability to enthuse, motivate and involve individuals and teams, and have them understand the Trust-wide and local performance expectations. Extensive track record of effective partnership working with internal and external stakeholders Ability to analyse, synthesise and interpret highly complex data, filtering and interpreting information to identify and focus on issues to be addressed at board level. Intellectual flexibility with the ability to cut through ambiguity and complexity and to shape and implement a vision that looks beyond existing structures, ways of working, boundaries and organisations to produce more effective and innovative service delivery models. Independent self-starter, able to work with a very high level of autonomy Strong drive for performance and improvement Proven strong written communication skills, in particular for complex drafting, and ability to produce & present effective business cases. Effective listening skills and the ability to build excellent interpersonal relationships Sound political judgment and sensitivity when dealing with stakeholders at all levels Flexible and resilient approach, able to work successfully under pressure Additional Team player, able to motivate and inspire Commitment to the Essentia Way - working together, doing it well and looking after each other
rata, plus bank holidays: • 27 days when you start
• 29 days after five years service • 33 days after 10 years service
GSTT has an active commitment to equality and diversity, welcoming people of all backgrounds, nationalities and religions. We are recognised as a healthcare leader by Stonewall and the Trust is a disability confident employer. Further information working at GSTT can be viewed at https://www.guysandstthomas. nhs.uk/careers/why-choose-us/why-choose-us.aspx
Candidate Brochure 22
Director of Operations
Director of Essentia
Director of Operations (Deputy Director of Essentia)
Director of Programme Office
Director of Performance & Improvement
Director of Estate Development
Director of Design & Development
Asset Management Director
• Site based soft FM Management • Site based hard FM Management
• Project Planning oversight • Governance and Oversight • Capital and Operational Interdependencies • Capital Programme monitoring • External relationships monitoring/ management • Administrative Management and agenda planning • Strategic capital /
• Adaptable Estate Design Standards • Contractor/Developer Partnerships • Private sector financing • Adaptable Estate Delivery Management • Commercial & Legal Negotiation with Developers • Tenant Procurement & Negotiation
• Employee Engagement • Statutory Compliance + Health & Safety • Disability Discrimination • Operational Contracts Management • Customer Service / Telephony • Internal and External Customer Relationships • Operational Services Contracts • Backlog & Minor Works Management • Setting standards and policy for Hard and Soft FM • Sustainability • Fire Safety Management
• Data collection & reporting • Quality Standards • Operational Financial Management • Workforce & Essentia Academy • Business Planning • Improvement & Efficiency Programme’ • Risk Management & QA • ERIC and Model Hospital returns and analytics • Procurement (incl Capital Procurement) • ISO accreditation
• Technical Design
• Estate Strategy Development • Strategic planning of healthcare estate • Property and Asset Management • Space Management • Commercial management of assets • Landlord and tenant relationships • Planning approval
Standards for capital projects • Strategic and functional planning • Design Management • Fit-out ·Contractor Management • Commissioning & Handover • Technical Supervision • Infrastructure Design and Planning • Internal & Public Stakeholder Engagement • Programme Office & Resource pool (capital)
oversight and benefits realization reporting
management (decision making) • Corporate support & risk management
Candidate Brochure 24
Director of Design & Development
Essentia is being supported on this recruitment campaign by the search consultancy The Management Recruitment Group
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV of not more than 4 pages and a covering letter of not more than 2 pages Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 26th January 2020
To arrange a confidential briefing conversation please contact our advisors
Interviews will take place at the GSTT during the week commencing 17th February 2020
Michael Hewlett email@example.com of MRG on 0203 962 9900
GSTT has an active commitment to equality and diversity, welcoming people of all backgrounds, nationalities and religions. We are recognised as a healthcare leader by Stonewall and the Trust is a disability confident employer.
Candidate Brochure 26
Director of OperationsPage 1 Page 2-3 Page 4-5 Page 6-7 Page 8-9 Page 10-11 Page 12-13 Page 14-15 Page 16-17 Page 18-19 Page 20-21 Page 22-23 Page 24-25 Page 26-27 Page 28-29 Page 30-31 Page 32
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online