CWU Apartment Guide 2020

garbage dumpsters, but some areas share a central location. All types of paper can be mixed in the same bin, and different colors of glass do not need to be separated. Please empty containers of liquid before recycling, and only recycle cardboard and paper that is free of food or other contaminants. SCREENS AND WINDOW STOPS The university considers screens and window stops safety equipment. Removal of or damage to these items may result in disciplinary action, eviction, and/or a university fine of $50. SNOW REMOVAL The university removes snow from the apartment parking lot areas. Residents are responsible for snow removal from their front doors to the parking lot. Snow shovels, sand, and de-icer can be obtained from the apartment complex coordinator or apartment managers. Any student registered with Disability Support Services should contact that office to make arrangements for snow removal. UTILITIES Apartment rates include water, heat, electricity, sewer, refuse services, and Internet. APARTMENT POLICIES AND EXPECTATIONS Apartment policies exist to help create an environment that is conducive to your needs for safety, studying, socializing, and sleeping. We want to ensure that your apartment experience promotes your success at Central! ABANDONED PROPERTY When students leave property in the residence hall room or apartment, Housing and Residence Life staff will remove the property at $45 per hour. Additionally, a storage fee of $10 per day is charged to the student for a maximum of 60 days. If the property is not claimed at the end of 60 days, it is considered abandoned property and the university disposes of this property. If a student wishes to claim their property during the 60 days, he/she is required to contact the Housing and Residence Life office at 509-963-1831 to make arrangements. ALCOHOLAND OTHER DRUGS Central Washington University’s policy on alcohol (in all forms, The use of drugs, including alcohol, can have a negative effect on your student life and academic success. At Central Washington University, we are committed to providing an atmosphere of creative learning and healthful living for students and have put into effect policies that do not allow the illegal use of alcohol and other drugs, on or off campus. Housing and Residence Life’s alcohol and other drugs policy follows all local, state, and federal laws. Please note, students under the influence or in possession of alcohol or other drugs that are violating a local, state, or federal law on CWU’s campus can be cited by University Police. In support of a substance free and successful academic environment; Alford-Montgomery, Barto, Beck, Carmody-Munro, Davies, Hitchcock, Meisner, Quigley, Sparks, Wendell B, and Wilson, are designated as “Substance Free” communities. This means that these residence halls are free of alcohol while all of our residence halls do not permit the presence or use of drugs regardless of age. When it comes to alcohol and other drugs, the following items apply to this policy:

• Alcohol o No one under the age of 21 will possess, consume or be under the influence of alcohol in any on-campus housing facility. • Are not allowed to have paraphernalia related to the consumption of alcoholic beverages. This includes, but is not limited to, empty bottles, cans, boxes, containers, shot glasses, wine glasses, etc. • May not have guests consume or possess alcohol o Residents age 21 or older living in an on-campus apartment. • May possess and consume alcohol in the privacy of their assigned space, as well as their assigned suite common area with main door closed. • If you choose to consume alcohol in your room, you can consume alcohol with other students who are 21 or over. • Are reminded of the legal responsibility placed on them if they have roommate(s) that are underage. • There cannot be more than one drink open per person over the age of 21, if underage roommates are present. o Residents shall not buy or provide alcohol to people under the age of 21. o Home brewing of alcohol is not allowed in on-campus housing facilities. o Kegs, “party balls,” tap systems, and similar large volume common source containers as well as devices used to promote binge drinking that could cause unhealthy alcohol consumption are not allowed in on-campus housing facilities. o Large amounts of alcohol are not allowed in on-campus housing facilities. For those in non-substance free housing, this is defined as more than 1 bottle of wine OR more than 1 bottle of spirits OR more than a 6 pack of beer per person who is over the age of 21. • Cannabis (Marijuana) o Possession, consumption or being under the influence of any form of cannabis, marijuana or CBD in any amount is not allowed on campus. o Those who have medical marijuana cannot possess, consume or be under the influence of cannabis, marijuana or CBD on campus. Please contact Disability Services if you need assistance. o Although Washington State law allows adults age 21 and older to possess cannabis/marijuana for personal use, federal law prohibits cannabis/marijuana possession and use of any kind. The University receives federal funds; therefore, residents must adhere to federal laws relating to possession and use of marijuana • Drugs o Drugs (Controlled substances) and paraphernalia are not allowed in on-campus housing facilities. This includes but is not limited to: • Chemical substances, compounds or combinations used to induce an altered state • Otherwise lawfully available product, over the counter or prescription drug used for any purpose other than its intended use • Hallucinogens • Nervous system depressant • Other stimulants o For the full list, please see the Student Conduct Code (WAC 106-125). Residents of any age may not be in a residence hall or apartment space with someone who is violating any part of the alcohol and other drug policy.


Made with FlippingBook Publishing Software