STRATEGIC ARTICULATION MAP nsbe.org
OUR PURPOSE // What we will do to get there
TO INCREASE THE NUMBER OF
CULTURALLY RESPONSIBLE BLACK ENGINEERS
POSITIVELY IMPACT THE COMMUNITY
VISION // What we want to see
WE ENVISION A WORLD IN WHICH ENGINEERING IS A MAINSTREAM WORD
IN HOMES AND COMMUNITIES OF COLOR, AND
ALL BLACK STUDENTS CAN ENVISION THEMSELVES AS ENGINEERS.
BLACKS EXCEED PARITY IN ENTERING
IN THIS WORLD,
ENGINEERING FIELDS, EARNING DEGREES, AND SUCCEEDING PROFESSIONALLY.
STRATEGIC VISION Summary from SPTF and NEB meetings to clarify NSBE’s identity and its impact
IDENTITY / NSBE’S WHO!!
IMPACT / NSBE’S DO!
• Normalize black excellence; • Provide Early academic and career exposure, Sisterhood and brotherhood; • Encourage members and stakeholders to appreciate and support Black identity.
• Present Black engineers as world-class problem solvers; • Provide local Chapters, which are the Arena of Action where the DO happens • Gives majority orgs access to black talent • Helps People of Color Engineers and STEM talent get through College - a critical juncture on the Community to Career Lifecycle • Community service • Common themes: Visibility, validation, and reinforcement
BEACON OF HOPE/ BRIDGE from community to college to workplace/career PREMIER ORGANIZATION for/of Black engineers
This SPTF small group took a novel angle to how NSBE expresses its IMPACT, they focused NSBE’s signature member engagement event that delivers to each member a summative picture of NSBE’s value. • Conventions are critical • Metrics are critical, like new convention attendees • In terms of member outreach “Go to convention” is important messaging
SAFE HAVEN that provides academic and professional support CAREER ADVANCEMENT PLATFORM
• A special, unique place where Black engineers - and by extension other People of Color talent - do not have to feel like unicorns - unusual or non-normative.
IDENTITY / NSBE’S WHO!!
IMPACT / NSBE’S DO!
• NSBE taking a more activist stance regarding members’ well-being at work • Community/family to combat feelings of isolation and tokenization • NSBE has the power to “raise the question” about climate and cultural conditions within the Engineering Space that have the potential to do harm to Black or Diverse Engineers
REPRESENTATIVE of and potentially ACTIVIST for the larger African American Engineering community and its special concerns.
• IMPACT/DO! - Raise awareness of STEM in K12. Incubate, connect, engage, equip, mentor, support in a safe environment that produces leaders and creates opportunity. • NICHE/HOOD - Build and nurture a ‘regionized’ Collegiate base around which all other stakeholders revolve.
At its core: NSBE is a like-minded yet diverse group of engineers committed to supporting and increasing Blacks/Diverse talent in engineering.
Corporate Career Entrepreneurship Academia
Graduate with a 3.20 GPA or better
Get into a good college or University STEM/Engineering Program
Interest in STEM Engineering Computer Science
NSBE Professional Developed
THE ENGINEERING ACADEMIC JOURNEY College/University
Community Pre-collegiate Activities & Engagement
THE NSBE CONTINUUM
NEXT A NEW GO!
Assumptions: How could NSBE DO LESS & BE MORE - OR - In year ONE prioritize DOING MORE WITH WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE
POTENTIAL FRAMEWORKS FOR STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
DRAFT STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS
NSBE & BLACK ENGINEERS A HOUSEHOLD NAME
CLIMATE CHANGE / CULTURE SHIFT
NSBE INFRASTRUCTURE UPGRADE
VISION SNAPSHOTS // When we want to see it
THINK BIG 2024
NSBE member who has gone into their career being named CEO
Nobel Peace Prize/Pulitzer Prize folks
NSBE members out there on networks like CNN giving talks on STEM being those go to persons
Every company, private, public would want to be a sponsor or a board member of NSBE
NSBE representative being that go to person but in a positive light
More engagement by more companies at the university level
Our stakeholders venture capital and technology companies
Getting 10,000 by 2025 and beyond
More NSBE members who are heads of global tech firms that are internationally noticed
Close the gap in the voice of that stakeholder
Every sector would be able to identify a NSBE person. Sitting on boards, sitting in CEO spots, professorial, and administration
Handshaking with world leaders and big decisions that are being made
THINK BIG 2024
NSBE featured or mentioned in prestigious events such as Kennedy Honors or Black Girls Rock (ie Dr. Frazier)
Engineering is an accessible and encouraged career
Being focused in STEM also being broadening, expanding the STEM space and STEAM
Engineering is a well-defined idea in communities of color
It's not just important for black kids to see black professors, it's just as important for white kids see black professors and their classroom.
Black students in engineering courses see themselves represented in faculty, sta and other students
START SMALL 2020
A formal outreach or communication to maybe a governing body of engineering tech schools or engineering presidents
I'd like to see more black faces in white places, speaking and engaging.
I’d love to see the NEB and some of the WHQ folks just putting on their calendars or beginning to chart out a schedule where they're doing listen and learns, going to some of these universities and setting up meetings directly with the deans
Showing up at people's schools and speaking, teaching chapters and both collegiate and professional about how to go about soliciting groups
Create some type of program or strategy towards helping those faculty and that academic sta that is currently in place now, to give them some type of supportPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator