The Newsletter About Caring for Your Health Health+ Fitness
GET UP + MOVE ! INCREASE ENERGY BY GETTING UP & MOVING!
• How Do I Get Started? • Relieve Shoulder Pain In Minutes! • Vegetarian Recipe • Patient Success!
GET UP + MOVE! INCREASE ENERGY BY GETTING UP & MOVING!
Do you feel sluggish or fatigued, as if it’s difficult to motivate yourself to get moving? Do your sore muscles or achy joints just add to that lack of motivation? If so, your body may be experiencing some physical problems. Living a sedentary life is one of the main reasons why people report having low energy or feeling chronic day-to-day aches. Long car commutes, desk jobs, watching T.V. once you get home from work… many people live their lives this way, with very little physical activity. While it may not seem like it is making an impact at the time, this type of sedentary lifestyle can damage your body over time. Contact FYZICAL Therapy today to figure out how a consistent exercise plan can increase your energy and help you live a healthier life! WHY IS PHYSICAL ACTIVITY SO IMPORTANT? When you don’t participate in frequent physical activity, your muscles begin to weaken and over time they can even begin to atrophy. Inactive lifestyles also cause joints to become stiff and can alter the
physiological chemical processes within your body. In fact, your circulation and lymphatic systems can slow down, which can pose harmful risks. These systems work in producing and excreting toxic wastes (such as cholesterol) and these wastes can build up when the systems aren’t functioning as efficiently as they should. Lack of movement and poor posture are the causes of several types of pain, including lower back pain, neck pain, hip pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, and headaches. A slumped posture can even change the shape of your spine over time, in addition to closing your shoulder joints and tightening up the tissues around your hips. These consequences can cause severe pain and may result in a host of other problems if lifestyle changes are not made. Call FYZICAL Therapy today or visit FyzicalCT.com to get started on your pain-free life!
Call & schedule your appointment today! Bristol 860.585.5800 • Southington 203.272.8490 • Wallingford 203.741.9948
How Do I Get Started?
There is one fundamental rule of the human body– it was made to move! There are several reasons why people may not want to participate in physical activity. Perhaps your body simply doesn’t move the way it used to, or perhaps painful areas of your body make it difficult to move in the ways you’d like. Whatever the case may be, the truth is that restriction in movement has the potential to lead to harmful health problems. Some easy pain-relief and energy-boosting steps you can take on your own include: 1. Decide to get up and get moving 2. Get up from your chair every 20 minutes and walk around, even if it is just for a few seconds. 3. Walk or exercise at least 30 minutes every day. 4. Drink plenty of water. 5. Stretch your legs, hips, spine, and neck for 10 min every day. 6. Don’t push yourself too far if you feel pain.
7. Make sure you are sitting properly at your desk or computer. 8. Take frequent breaks for breathing exercises. Inhale and exhale deeply. 9. Stretch your arms overhead frequently throughout the day. 10.Do strengthening exercises 2-3 times per week. In order to be healthy, there needs to be a large emphasis on movement. When your body is flexible, strong, well-balanced, and fueled by a nutritious diet, it is able to perform at its optimal levels. At FYZICAL Therapy, we are dedicated to helping you live the best life you can, and our movement experts would be more than happy to help you relieve your pain, re-align your body, and get moving once again. If you are looking for assistance in living a more physically active life, contact us today.
VEGETARIAN RECIPE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER & CHICKPEA SOUP
• 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas • 5 garlic cloves, peeled • 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil • 1 tsp ground cumin • 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp paprika • 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
For Garnish • Reserved roasted cauliflower mix
• Red pepper flakes • Fresh thyme leaves • Heavy cream
• 1/4 tsp black pepper • 4 cups vegetable broth • 1 cup water • 1/2 cup heavy cream
DIRECTIONS Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss cauliflower florets, chickpeas and garlic cloves with 3 tbsp of olive oil and cumin, salt and paprika. Roast in the oven for 30 min, stirring once half way through. Remove from oven and set aside. Reserve about 1/2 cup for the garnish. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add cubed potatoes and black pepper. Cook for 2 min, stirring frequently. Add vegetable broth and water and increase heat to bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to simmer for about 15-20 min until potatoes are very soft. Remove pot from the heat and stir in roasted cauliflower mix. Puree the soup using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender, working in batches if necessary. Return pureed soup to the stovetop and gently re-warm it. Stir in heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved roasted cauliflower mix, red pepper flakes, fresh thyme leaves and drizzle of heavy cream.
Call Today! Bristol 860.585.5800 • Southington 203.272.8490 • Wallingford 203.741.9948
Safety Procedure Update
1) All staff and all clients need to wear a mask, if you are a client and you don’t have a mask, we will issue you one. 2) All family members of our clients will not be able to enter our office unless there is a language barrier or it is a child. This is for the safety of your family member, our clients and our staff. 3) Social distancing is the new norm in our offices and you will not be within 6 feet of another client during your treatment session. 4) All therapists have moved to 40 min appointments, 1:1 schedule with clients, please show up on time for your appointment. 5) All clinical tables and clinical tools and equipment are wiped down clean with disinfectant after each client is finished prior to being put away. 6) If you are a new client, we will email you the paperwork that you can fill out at home and bring with you to minimize time in the waiting room. Please bring your insurance card, and photo id for your chart. 7) When scheduling your future appointments after your initial consultation, our staff will find out what is best for you and relay that to the Clinical Care Specialist, based on that data a schedule will be made. If there are issues with the proposed schedule please follow up by phone with our CCS to minimize the time spent in the office. 8) Our front desk is now equipped with a safety sneeze and cough guard/barrier. 9) When using our tables in the gym, their will be 6 feet of distancing between clients, some tables will NOT be used due to the COVID 19 pandemic guidelines. Please ask your therapist where you will be treated. 10) Private treatment rooms are always available and we have several at each office. 11) When you arrive, you will be given a questionnaire about your health, we just need to know you are feeling well, have no fever or cold symptoms and have not been exposed to others that may have COVID 19. 12) You will be asked to use hand sanitizer on the way in and the way out of or clinics. 13) Cleaning procedures: a. All of our offices were professionally deep cleaned. b. Touch points are cleaned throughout the day. c. Tables, equipment and all machines are cleaned after each use, before the next client. d. Each clinic is also professionally cleaned weekly. 14) Our front door to our office will be propped open so you do not have to open and close the door. 15) We are here to HELP you with your aches and pains, and to keep you SAFE. 16) We are nowoffering TELEHEALTH services wherewe can continue to have involvement in your plan of care but you can do it from the comfort of your own home. Inquire with your therapist about TELEHEALTH appointments to see if this is a viable option.
Patient Success Spotlight “Keith has made my daughters physical therapy absolutely amazing. She had a ACL repair and he made my daughter feel so comfortable. He is so supportive and constantly asking how she feels or if there is anything new for her. He is very knowledgeable and able answer all of our questions. We are driving from Southington to Wallingford because of Covid but my daughter and I both have decided to stay with Keith even though the Southington office is 5 minutes from home. He has made this experience actually fun and we are always laughing while there. I would 100% recommend Keith for any physical therapy needs.”
RELIEVE SHOULDER PAIN IN MINUTES! EXERCISE ESSENTIALS
SHOULDER EXTENSION Lean forward, supporting yourself with your am (as shown) or against a chair or counter and hold a free weight at your side. Keeping your elbow straight and shoulders relaxed, raise your arm up behind your body. SLOWLY lower arm “fighting” the resistance. Repeat 6-10 times on the affected arm(s). Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.
Schedule your consultation with FYZICAL Therapy today by visiting FYZICALCT.com for information!Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker