Residence Life Manager Candidate Information Pack
Contents t t
FutureLets 3 About Coventry University 5 Job Description 6 Person Specification 10 Application Process 12
FutureLets is the trading name of the FutureLets Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Coventry University. FutureLets are the official provider, and managing agent, for student accommodation for Coventry University. We are the university’s one – stop shop for student accommodation and aim to find students a property to suit their needs, whether that’s halls or private accommodation. We can help support students throughout the entirety of their university life, providing accommodation choices for every year they’re at Coventry University. We promote and market university halls and good quality private accommodation to all Coventry University Group campuses. The Coventry University Group have thousands of students each year seeking accommodation. We have a diverse portfolio of university halls, offering catered and self-catered options, including new state of the art developments that have been designed with the student at the heart and one of our halls has recently been shortlisted for university halls of the year.
Requirements within the private rented market largely vary from room only-accommodation, studio flats, en-suite rooms, apartments and whole houses up to 14 bedrooms for larger groups.
Our ever-increasing portfolio is designed to meet all types of student criteria and budget. We partner with a range of approved accommodation providers and landlords so we can offer our students the best accommodation.
Our office is located within the heart of the Coventry University campus, situated in Charles Ward office 145, so we are easily accessible to both students and landlords.
About Coventry University
Coventry University is a forward-looking modern university whose roots can be traced back to 1843 to the Coventry School of Design. With a proud tradition as a provider of high quality education and a focus on multidisciplinary research, the University has established a robust academic presence regionally, nationally and across the world. Through its links with leading-edge businesses and organisations in a variety of countries and industries, Coventry University’s 25,000+ students enjoy access to placements and international opportunities, which ensure that their employment prospects are enhanced by the time they graduate. Its students also benefit from state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, on both its Coventry and London campuses, in all academic disciplines, from health, business and performing arts to industrial design, engineering and computing. In recent years Coventry’s student satisfaction levels and teaching quality have been rated amongst the best in the UK, which in turn has led to impressive rises in every major university league table. As of 2018 the institution is the
country’s top modern university in the Guardian University Guide in which it ranks 12th overall – we have risen to a top 12 position in the Guardian University Guide 2018 and are The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide ‘Modern University of the Year’ for 2014, 2015 and 2016. Coventry is recognised internationally for its expertise in peacebuilding, serious games and disaster management, and for the world-leading calibre of its engineering and design graduates – particularly in the automotive field. It was awarded the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise in 2015 in recognition of its inter- national growth and success over the past six years. Underpinning much of the success is a strong focus on teaching and learning which permeates through everything – even the design and layout of the buildings. Lecture rooms in the newest facilities, for example, can transform into 360 degree amphitheatres to bring a more intimate, immersive element to the discussion, and learning spaces are open and adaptable to encourage sharing of ideas and
disrupt the traditional one-way flow of information from lecturer to student.
A £100 million investment into research is underway to boost Coventry’s research performance and bring it up amongst the traditional heavyweight research institutions. It has already seen the launch of several new centres specialising in areas around which Coventry has historically had considerable expertise. The Centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations, for example, has been established to build on and advance the university’s world-leading research around trust as a key component of peace building, reconciliation and community cohesion – echoing the very themes for which Coventry as a city is internationally famous. In a recent House of Lords debate, the Archbishop of Canterbury drew attention to the positive impact of the centre’s work. Researchers in the new Centre for Applied Biological and Exercise Sciences, too, have attracted global interest and media attention. A team of its scientists have developed a pioneering new way – using real human heart tissue – to test the effect of drugs on the heart without using human or animal trials.
Other notable projects which demonstrate the breadth of research underway at Coventry include initiatives to tackle female genital mutilation, collaborations with industry to combat automotive cyber security threats, and long-term studies into children’s literacy. The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 results portend well for the ambitions that Coventry University has going forward – the university was ranked joint 5th in the UK for the quantity of its research in the allied health professions category receiving the top ratings of four or three stars, with many other areas also being rated as ‘world leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’. Such successes are only bolstering Coventry’s international reputation. Already boasting one of the most culturally diverse campuses in the UK thanks to its 5,000-strong international student population – drawn from over 150 countries – the university is continuing to grow its overseas presence, including through recent collaborations with Kadir Has University in Istanbul and the South West University of Political Science and Law in Chongqing.
The primary purpose of this post is to lead, manage and develop the Residential Life Events and Activities Programme across the Group accommodation portfolio creating a vibrant and inclusive environment for our students. Working as a team, supported by Residential Life Co-ordinators you will ensure that students feel engaged, supported and help us to create an exceptional student experience. You will also be responsible for defining and developing Futurelets Corporate and Social Responsibility Programme, conducting research, identifying ideas and plans, and building relationships with partner organisations, to implement and coordinate a range of activities and initia- tives that have a positive impact on the environment and local communities. • To directly manage and develop an improved student experience by creating innovative initiatives and events, networking and engaging with external stakeholders and internal departments to further develop a broad and engaging programme of events and activities throughout the academic year to actively encourage student engagement within the Residential Life Programme. • To lead and manage the Residential Life Co-ordinators, setting objectives and monitoring progress in delivering and promoting the Residential Life initiatives, providing regular appraisals and support. Create a high performing culture, ensuring personal and team development, innovation and good morale. Tasks and Responsibilities
• Oversee the recruitment, management and training of a team of student ambassadors from across the full range of the accommodation portfolio.
• Responsible for producing an annual calendar of events, and ensuring that they are widely communicated and promoted to students within accommodation using social and traditional media. Oversee the creation, editing and publishing of student focussed content in line with corporate guidelines.
• Collaborate with other accommodation providers in delivering events and occasionally lead with the organisation of collaborative events.
• Liaise with the Health and Wellbeing team, and other relevant University support departments to promote welfare support services and provide support to key campaigns and signposting when concerns regarding students are raised. • To take the lead in developing a consultation and feedback process following events and activities to effectively evidence and monitor student satisfaction. The emphasis being on enhancing the students’ wellbeing, academic performance and life skills that will benefit them during their time at Coventry University, and thereafter.
• Build effective relationships with internal departments to develop an effective strategy for engaging students who live at home or off campus.
• To define and develop an effective Futurelets Corporate Social Responsibility programme encompassing environment, workplace and community issues that will deliver agreed Corporate Social Responsibility targets.
• To establish charity partnership programmes and develop relationships with key business contacts within partners.
• To support the Futurelets team via the internal Go To Excellence Group, to share, implement and coordinate a range of activities and initiatives.
• Manage an allocated budget and provide regular and detailed financial reports on how the budget is utilised.
• Provide regular analytical reports, as required.
• Prioritise and plan own workload according to urgency and importance in accordance with operational demands.
• Participate in the calendar of annual events to include University Open Days and Induction.
• Previous experience of managing a team of staff, supporting and developing student volunteers.
• A proven record of providing and developing social, sporting, charity events that has improved customer or student experience.
• Proven experience of managing budgets.
• Knowledge of effective marketing and promotion of events.
• Working knowledge of social media i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube.
• Led activities or ran events in which encouragement and persuasion were key (i.e. charity run).
• Experience of managing and developing an improved customer experience.
• Ability to identify new opportunities and think innovatively.
• Action orientated individual who can engage with others to drive change.
• Creative and innovative with a commitment and passion for enhancing the student experience.
• Collaborative and people centric working style.
• An approachable manner, a positive and optimistic outlook and the ability to encourage, influence and persuade others in the pursuit of University objectives, and act as a true ambassador internally and externally.
• Commitment to, and understanding of, equal opportunity issues relating to staff and student matters within a diverse and multicultural environment.
• Demonstrate an understanding of student development and practical application.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with people across the spectrum with responsibility and experience.
• Experience of managing positive internal and external relationships.
• Excellent organisation skills, gained in a busy events environment.
• Excellent communication skills, verbal, non-verbal and written.
• Strong leadership skills, and ability to motivate, develop and mentor a team of staff
• An understanding for and empathy with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Excellent IT skills including advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
Ability to plan, prioritise and manage workload, projects, deadlines and monitor outcomes and where necessary identify any potential issues and make recommendations for solution. Ability to source, analyse and interpret information.
Demonstrate ability to work upon own initiative and work independently as well as part of a team
Education / Qualifications
• Educated to a Degree level or equivalent.
To arrange a confidential conversation to discuss the opportunity in more depth, please contact Hayley Mintern or Charlotte MacGregor of The Management Recruitment Group on 020 8892 0115. Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV (of not more than 4 pages) and a covering letter (of not more than 2 pages). Applications should be sent to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Sunday 1st January 2019.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker