City Operations Manager Wolverhampton, Bedford and Coventry
Candidate information pack
We have over 24,000 beds under management across 51 residences in the UK.
Our accommodation is in prime locations across 19 major university towns and cities. In line with trends in student living, the majority of our rooms are en-suite with shared kitchens and social areas. The remainder are non-ensuite rooms. All our rooms are situated in high-quality, modern residences with, on average, 400 or more bedrooms, providing us with the scale we need to manage our assets effectively and efficiently. Our aim is to create the best environment for students to thrive; well-located, well-priced, social and secure accommodation with outstanding facilities. We serve first to final year, domestic and international students and aim to provide extremely high levels of service to both students and our educational institution partners. We are a trusted partner to more than 40 educational institutions who rely on us to provide best-in-class student accommodation and facilities, so they can focus on delivering world-leading education. Our financial strength, operational track record and high quality of service are key differentiators when educational institutions are selecting accommodation partners. We are founding members of the ANUK code, which sets high standards for the management of student accommodation, and are highly-regarded across the industry for our superior service standards.
We’ve thought about everything, from Wi-Fi right through to laundry, we make the process of moving in and living with us as simple as possible for our students. All of our facilities are the best of the best, with all our properties offering: Totally secure living environment, Modern kitchens, Free Wi-Fi, Post services, On-site laundry and Bike storage.
Our values are simple, but they’re present in everything we do. We believe in: • Putting safety first • Passion for service
• Commitment to excellence
• Respect for people
• Fun for all
Alongside these core values, we also provide equal opportunities in lines with employment laws (but also just because it’s the right thing to do!).
This means we don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or on any other basis prohibited by law – because we genuinely think that’s the right approach to take.
Basically, we aim to extend our welcoming approach to our customers, to our staff and any potential staff, too.
Regional Operations Manager
Staff Responsibility: Key Relationships:
Residences Managers, Maintenance staff and Security Staff Universities/Colleges, Central Services Support Teams and Other City Operations Managers
City Operations Manager - your role
Reporting to the Regional Operations Manager (ROM), this role is responsible for the delivery of excellent performance of the company’s objectives through the implementation of the company’s key services and development of the company’s University and client relationships. The City Operations Manager leads on the operational and financial activities for a specified city or cluster of cities, whilst ensuring a culture of sales and customer service is delivered to the highest levels. The close working relationship with the Residence Management team is critical to the success of this role and the city. The ability to manage, coach and develop the team is important, as is the development of relationships with clients. Working across multiple residences and managing separate teams requires the ability to communicate effectively at all levels, excellent organisational skills and the capability to manage your time inline with the demands of the business and your teams. Ensuring that the residence runs efficiently and cost effectively in line with company policies and procedures, financial management will be a significant focus of the role with responsibility for daily management of budgets, P&L and cost control. You will be accountable for maintaining the profitability and occupancy of the residence, so a full understanding of the business is vital.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
• Actively drive rental uplifts through implementation of the dynamic pricing model with the aim of maximising revenues. • Actively support new and existing business and revenue generating opportunities by working, overseeing the sales conversion process, generating new enquiries and converting interest received. • Ensure student retention and revenue generating opportunities through the delivery of a high standard of customer service. • Maximise residence occupancy to meet and exceed targets, including building and maintaining a summer rental business.
• Complete sales viewings where necessary.
• Ensure revenue generating opportunities through the delivery of a high standard of customer service, setting the standard and coaching your team as appropriate to ensure your team deliver to the same standards. • Develop and maintain relationships with the University/College. • Ensure that a high level of customer service and satisfaction is achieved through managing and meeting customers’ expectations and service levels relevant to each residence, and ensuring your team do the same. • Managing in line with the National Code of Standards and Liberty Living’s own procedures. • Co-ordinate pastoral care, mental health and wellbeing support to residents. Directing residents to specialist resources and be able to deal with emergency situations if they arise. • Manage the client move-in and client move-out process to provide a smooth transition for the client whilst ensuring all administrative, operational and financial aspects are completed to a high standard. • Oversee and lead the daily management of the residences to the high standards by interpreting and implementing policies and procedures as laid down by Liberty Living. • Oversee all aspects of administration within the residences including electronic and paper-based systems. • Maintain full and up-to-date knowledge of the Company’s policies, procedures and common practices. Informing the ROM and/or the HR Department of any concerns they may have in relation to suspected gaps in that knowledge. • Ensuring that all relevant staff are trained and competent in the Company’s policies and procedures. • Ensure all processes carried out by the team are compliant with GDPR and Liberty Living’s Data Protection Policies, and that the team are knowledgeable of their responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulations. • Maintain profitability of the residence by maintaining and increasing occupancy and revenue in line with the budget and targets. • Assist the preparation of the residences budgets. • Implementation of financial controls having full and up-to-date knowledge of the finance system in line with financial operating procedures laid down by Liberty Living. • Effective and accurate credit control to ensure no outstanding debt on client accounts, taking remedial actions to collect outstanding debt in line with policies and procedures of Liberty Living. Daily Management Financial Management
• Use of internal finance package, Kinetic Solutions, to input financial information and to extract important financial information. • Ensure the payment of invoices is completed in line with company procedures as set out by Liberty Living. • Maintain full and up-to-date knowledge of the Company’s banking procedures and ensure all relevant staff are competent in the receipt of payments within the residence. • Financial management through full and correct receipting and use of the WPM system. Daily banking and reconciliation of all payments, liaising with the Accounts Department accordingly. • Manage petty cash for the residences ensuring regular reconciliation and correct authorisation for use. • Submit a monthly credit card claim for goods and services purchased where credit facilities is not available. • To procure goods and services in accordance with the Company’s procedures, using nominated suppliers where feasible and following the procedure for sourcing contractors, completing reactive tasks, contracting with service providers and managing supplier relationships in line with policy. • Manage all aspects of Health & Safety of the residences from both client and staff perspectives, ensuring the team are trained to the required standard. Follow policies and procedures dictated by current H&S legislation under the guidance of the Liberty Living’s Health & Safety Committee. • Ensure all statutory checks are completed including fire alarm testing, emergency light testing, monthly checks, emergency equipment and emergency evacuation practices. • Complete and review staff Risk Assessments. • Manage the reporting and investigating of incidents, accidents and near misses that occur on site or in relation to staff/customers/visitors, following escalation procedures and in collaboration with the ROM and Heads of Department. • Responsibility for ensuring staff are trained and always aware of their duties as set out in the Emergency Action Plan. Health and Safety Management
Information Technology and Communications
• Manage the IT and Telecommunications service delivery and infrastructure in line with Liberty Living guidelines. • Ensure staff have a full understanding of and undertake compliant working practices in relation to online security, PCI DSS and GDPR.
• Responsibility for the security and safe use of portable company IT equipment (including mobile phones, iPads, post tablets, inspection tablets).
Planning and Organising
• Effective planning and organising of time and tasks across all residences under management. • Adherence to reporting deadlines as laid down by the business. • Time and movement management of self and team to ensure adequate staff and management cover across all of the residences.
Maintenance Cleaning and Visual Standards
• Ensure reactive maintenance work is carried out promptly and in line with the National Code of Standards. • Ensure a safe place of work for all staff. • Ensure the teams prepare for and communicate planned maintenance work, working in conjunction with the Property Services Department. • Liaise with maintenance contractors to ensure works are carried out correctly and to a high standard whilst ensuring compliance with health and safety and company regulations and procedures. • Ensure all legislative requirements for cleaning and maintenance are met through implementation of company policies and operating practices. • Ensure that a high visual standard is maintained to ensure brand compliance and a high standard of presentation is maintained throughout the residences, through the management of Liberty Living staff, cleaning contractor and cleaning operatives and regular housekeeping checks. • Complete month-end reports for reporting to Regional Operations Manager in line with company procedures. • Respond to information requests from the business. • Maintain regular contact with the Regional Operations Manager, keeping them fully updated of pertinent issues, requesting involvement where necessary /appropriate. • Responsibility for reviewing and communicating to team reports detailing weekly debt levels, sales and occupancy report, summer business report, AP report, incident reporting stats and H&S reporting. • Responsibility for reviewing and monitoring HR reports including the monthly overtime report, Bradford factor report and summer payroll. Reporting
• Manage the team in all aspects from recruitment, performance management, communication and employee relations within the guidelines defined by HR in line with employment legislation. • Keep HR and the ROM advised of all recruitment requirements. • Introduce and maintain high levels of team spirit and be a team player. • Ensure that there is effective delegation to meet the needs of the clients and the operation. • Establish regular communication with the team including individual performance reviews and team meetings. • Manage holiday requests ensuring adequate cover for the residence at all times and advise HR of all holiday arrangements to ensure accurate records are maintained. • Manage poor performance and absence management in line with HR procedures and guidelines. • Where appropriate, manage a team of resident Student Experience Representatives who provide support for the planning and delivery of open days, student experience events and sales activities.
Training Coaching and Development
• Develop and coach team members in line with the requirements of both the residence and the business, ensuring self-perpetuating teams that are multi-skilled. • Provide and recommend training and development as part of the performance appraisal system.
• Act as the principal contact, via telephone, for emergencies within the residences, both during and outside of normal working hours. • Ensure that security staff (in-house and external) are sufficiently trained to deal with all situations short of genuine emergencies. • Attend the residences, as required, outside of normal working hours in order to effectively manage emergencies.
• Smart appearance in line with the Liberty Living brand dress code.
Education and Qualifications
• Minimum: Educated to A level standard or equivalent. • A recognised qualification in Business Administration would be an advantage.
• Previous experience in a management capacity in a client facing service industry. • Previous team management experience. • Previous financial knowledge including forecasting and budgeting, credit and cost control. • Ideally with previous business development / sales experience.
• Communication (verbal & written): Able to exchange information in a clear, concise and articulate manner at all levels, with the ability to adapt style to the audience, hold difficult conversations, present to a group and prepare for and chair meetings. • Relationship building: Ability to develop productive working relationships with a wide range of people across all levels. Having a professional and confident approach to working relationships. Being team orientated with the ability to build strong working relationships with the RFMs, ROMs, City Operations Managers, Residence Managers and wider Central Services team. Engaging with HODs/ROMs demonstrating that requirements have been understood and delivered to. • Planning & Organising: Demonstrates excellent prioritising and organisational skills, effectively delegating work both upwards and downwards. Able to work under pressure and have the capability to re-plan and re-prioritise work taking into account resources and contingency in response to the business priorities. • Influence: Assertive and able to challenge and influence decisions. • Innovation: Regularly searches for and recommends new approaches to business improvement in terms of cost, quality and efficiency. • Analytical thinking: Able to identify and assess key issues and use their problem-solving skills to suggest best course of action. • Flexibility: Able to manage change and remain flexible to individual situations and personalities and have the ability to deal with ambiguity. • Customer Focus: Makes decisions with customer in mind and that adds value to service delivery.
• Self-Motivated: Able to work independently on own initiative and without constant supervision. • Teamwork: Able to work with others and recognise the strengths each individual can bring. • Energetic and motivated: A person with natural drive and determination. • Positive Outlook: Able to see the positive in people, situations, and events, even those that on the surface seem less than positive. • Resilience & Tolerance to Stress: Able to face setbacks, unforeseen events, time pressures, disappointment, obstacles and failures whilst remaining focused, composed and optimistic in order to continue to perform effectively. • A good working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook. • A good working knowledge of Kinetics would be an advantage or within 6 months of joining the Company. • Acquiring good comprehension and utilisation of other databases/systems (as introduced by the Company from time to time), which are required to improve standards/performance/ services at the residence; within 6 months of introduction. • Operational understanding with the ability to coach and advise staff on the use of all IT systems, including CAFM, WPM, Incident log, CRM, OneDrive, Skype and Litmos. Computer Literacy
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours as determined by the needs of the business. • Ability to work days, evenings and weekends including bank holidays as required during busy periods. • Regular nationwide travel with overnight stays necessary on occasion.
Applications should consist of a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4).
Applications should be sent to Charlotte Turedi (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Hayley Mintern (email@example.com).Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16
Made with FlippingBook HTML5