DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING
Director of Design & Development
Introduction. ................................................ 1-2
About The Trust............................................ 3-6
About Essentia............................................. 7-8
Investing in World Class Facilities................ 9-12
The Role................................................... 13-26
Working at Essentia and GSTT.................. 27-28
Senior Leadership Team............................ 29-30
Application Process. ................................. 31-32
Candidate Brochure 102
Thank you for your interest in the Director of Engineering post at Essentia.
Guy’s & St Thomas’ is one of the largest hospital trusts in the country, with around 17,000 staff, an annual turnover of more than £1.6 billion, and over 2.6 million patient contacts a year. Our hospitals have a long and proud history, dating back almost 900 years, and have been at the forefront of medical progress and innovation since they were founded. We continue to build on these traditions and have a reputation for clinical, teaching and research excellence. Essentia plays a crucial role on enabling the vast array of healthcare services provided by Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and other partner organisations including King’s College Hospital FT and the Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS FT. Responsible for non-clinical healthcare services, Essentia designs, builds and maintains healthcare infrastructure vital to the smooth running of healthcare services, encompassing everything from construction projects and healthcare planning to facilities management, housekeeping, transport and security. We employ around 1,700 people, and our vision is to provide the best service possible within the resources available, to be the estates, facilities and capital management provider of choice in south London and beyond, and to develop innovative approaches to improve the health estate.
Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering provides strategic, professional engineering leadership across the Trust and partner organisations, ensuring engineering technical excellence is delivered through the NHS estate with patient safety at the forefront.
Key aspects of the role include engineering and infrastructure strategy development, being the subject matter expert and technical lead for engineering and infrastructure management, leadership of innovation and sustainability initiatives, and oversight of engineering operations across a portfolio including several large-scale acute hospitals sites, medical teaching facilities and a community healthcare portfolio. We are seeking an individual with significant experience of operating in a senior engineering leadership role as the figurehead and subject matter expert for engineering and infrastructure management within a large scale organisation across a technically complex estate portfolio. You will have strong leadership skills, with the proven ability to lead a diverse range of in-house engineering professionals together with supply chain partners. It is anticipated that candidates will be able to demonstrate high-level technical engineering competency through professional attainment and industry experience.
The role offers the opportunity to play a crucial role as the estate engineering and infrastructure lead for one of the UK’s most complex healthcare portfolios, creating an environment that in turn will make a fantastic difference to so many.
Best wishes, Alastair Gourlay, Director of Essentia
Candidate Brochure 2
About the Trust
Guy’s and St Thomas’ is among the UK’s busiest and most successful NHS foundation
trusts. We provide a full range of hospital and community services for people in Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham, as well as specialist care for patients from further afield including cancer, renal, orthopaedic and cardiovascular services . Guy’s is home to the largest dental school in Europe and a £160 million Cancer Centre opened in 2016. As part of our commitment to provide care closer to home, in 2017 we also opened a cancer centre and a kidney treatment centre at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup. St Thomas’ has one of the largest critical care units in the UK and one of the busiest emergency departments in London. It is also home to Evelina London Children’s Hospital. Evelina London cares for local children in Lambeth and Southwark and provides specialist services across south east England
including cardiac, renal and critical care services. We lead a number of specialist service networks aiming to ensure children are treated locally where possible, but have access to specialist expertise when they need
Building Healthier Futures
it. Our community services include health visiting, school nursing and support for families of children with long-term conditions. The Duchess of Cambridge became the Patron of Evelina London in 2018.
Director of Engineering
Our Values to patients and staff drive everything we do
Our values have been developed in close collaboration with staff who strive to provide our patients with exceptional care every day.
Put patients first
Take pride in what we do
Strive to be the best
Act with integrity
Candidate Brochure 4
About the Trust continued
Our year in numbers 2018-2019
218,000 emergency and urgent care attendances
More than 796,000 patient contacts in community services
1.38 million outpatients
6,492 babies born
123,000 day cases
over £1.6 billion annual turnover
around 17,100 staff
2.6 million patient contacts
Director of Engineering
Our adult community services teams deliver care at the heart of the local communities we serve, working in partnership with GPs, local authorities and other healthcare and voluntary sector organisations. In 2019 we combined adult community services with acute medicine and therapy services to create Integrated Care, a new strategic
business unit. Working with our partners in Lambeth and Southwark, we are focusing on new ways of working to improve care for local patients.
We have a reputation for clinical excellence and high quality teaching and research. We are part of King’s Health Partners, one of six accredited UK Academic Health Sciences Centres. In partnership with King’s College London we have dedicated clinical research facilities and a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Biomedical Research Centre.
Patients are at the heart of everything we do and we pride ourselves on ensuring the best possible patient experience as well as safe, high quality care. We are proud to have one of the lowest mortality rates in the NHS. Following a comprehensive Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection in 2019 we maintained our overall rating of ‘good’. Our adult community services achieved a rating of ‘outstanding’.
The commitment of our 17,100 staff is key to our success. We are one of the largest local employers and we aim to develop and support all our staff so they are able to deliver high quality, safe and efficient care. The 2018 NHS staff survey results show that we have one of the most engaged and motivated workforces in the NHS. We know this has a positive impact on the care provided to our patients. We have one of the most ambitious capital investment programmes anywhere in the NHS.
Candidate Brochure 6
Our vision is to provide the best service possible within the resources available, to be the estates, facilities and capital management provider of choice in south London and beyond, and to develop innovative approaches to improve the health estate.
Essentia provides in-house Estates, Facilities and Capital Management for Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundatioan Trust, as well as services for other local NHS providers in both the acute and community setting. The context within which Essentia works is changing, and at pace. There is an unprecedented appetite for collaboration between Trusts, within the Integrated Care System (ICS, formerly STP) and beyond, and growing interest in Essentia the organisation of choice for the successful management of high quality estates and facilities services.
Director of Engineering
Essentia strives to be a great place to work, grow and build a career.
THE ESSENTIA WAY
THE ESSENTIA WAY IS
The Essentia way is
Looking after each other
Doing it well
Candidate Brochure 8
INVESTMENT IN WORLD CLASS FACILITIES
Click photo to see NHS Guy’s and St.Thomas Cancer Centre information website
Director of Engineering
We have one of the most ambitious capital investment programmes anywhere in the NHS.
Most recently we have delivered the £160 million state of the art Cancer Centre at Guy’s Hospital.
The new Cancer Centre at Guy’s was designed by Award-winning architects Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners and specialist healthcare architect Stantec were chosen for their innovative design based around a series of ‘villages’ that give the 14-storey building a human scale
Candidate Brochure 10
Looking to the future we have a once in a generation opportunity to build a platform for sustainable future healthcare and develop world-leading healthcare, Biomedical and MedTech clusters in the heart of London
New MedTech Cluster by 2040
Director of Engineering
A Biomedical Cluster at our London Bridge site (including Guy’s Hospital) focused on advanced therapies, cellular medicine, cancer and biomedical sciences - building on the success of the Guy’s Cancer
Further capital investment in our
A MedTech Cluster at our Westminster Bridge
Centre and Guy’s Tower as centres for advanced therapies research.
community healthcare estate portfolio , thus enabling better integrated care for our communities, closer to where people live, by improving digital mobility of staff and diagnostic tools, encouraging people to manage their own health, and providing a network.
site (including St Thomas’s Hospital), building on the Trust’s existing strengths in emergency care, diagnostic imaging, paediatrics and
cardiovascular care and the University’s cardiovascular, imaging and healthcare engineering research.
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE PLANS
A c.£200m expansion of Evelina London Children’s Hospital, providing the full continuum of specialist care and delivering a comprehensive children’s hospital for London.
A partnership with Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust that will transform specialist cardiovascular care for London and the UK.
The Trust will plan and deliver an estate that will be fit for purpose for decades to come, by designing “shell and core” buildings which can adapt quickly and easily to different uses, so that we can refit them every 10-15 years, depending on our needs. This is not a one-off exercise, but a sustained strategy of investment and growth that is financially sustainable over the long-term. Healthcare is rapidly changing. In the future the treatments and technologies available to patients may be radically different. We need buildings that are designed with a degree of flexibility and future-proofing. We aim to treble the amount of space across our estate from the current 381,000 sqm to 1.1M sqm by 2050. Space not required by the Trust and King’s Health Partners will be available to research institutions and life science industry partners, including startups and SMEs. Co-location of these uses is central to the development of our MedTech and Biomedical Clusters model.
Candidate Brochure 12
Director of Engineering
Job Title Director of Operations, Essentia Responsible To All Essentia Engineering and infrastructure Services Salary Band 8D
This role is key to achieving Essentia’s operational and strategic ambitions, providing strate- gic, professional engineering leadership across the Trust and across partner organisations as appropriate. Site based engineering teams are line managed by each Site Director. • Provides technical leadership and strategic direction for all engineering and estates maintenance works undertaken on acute and community based sites covered by Essentia,, including the co-ordination of backlog programmes, ensuring all technical standards, including engineering excellence and patient safety is at the forefront of engineering and estates delivery, through a process of structured accountability and compliance. • Provides professional engineering and estates expertise to Site Directors, estates staff, other directors, senior management, other internal customers and partners of the organization eg STP/ICS, and advice and direction to external agencies where appropriate. Lead for IHEEM memberships and activities. Technical lead for CQC and NHS. • Is responsible for the performance management of external contracts relating to engineering and estates functions, and building and developing an effective supply chain of responsive and innovative suppliers who are able to provide cost effective specialist services as part of the Essentia engineering and estates maintenance service.
Director of Engineering
• Has professional responsibility and accountability for ensuring engineering and estates maintenance and projects on all sites, including contract work, is carried out to appropriate standards and specifications and in accordance with HTM’s, Health and Safety legislation as well as adhering to Essentia standards and processes, to the benefit of the Trust. • Is responsible for the development of agreed technical standards that will be applied across Essentia, to ensure that all staff and contractors know what is required of them in terms of maintenance, and design & construction contractors understand what has to be delivered in a project especially to facilitate ongoing maintenance. Is responsible for the assessment, evaluation and reporting to the Essentia Executive Team of all technical risks, including derogations from NHS standards.
• Has overarching responsibility for all statutory and HTM compliance, the management of asbestos, decontamination, the CHP’s and energy management including proactive leadership in energy reduction and use of alternative technologies.
• Provides a structure and process for the effective interface with all project activities to ensure that appropriate communications, safety arrangements and operating procedures are in place, are timely and effective.
• Provides leadership, direction and senior professional advice in the event of any major incidents that have an engineering and/or estates dimension to the cause and/ or resolution., even to the extent of taking control should the impact be of a serious nature, and if requested.
Candidate Brochure 14
Key Relationships • Site Directors • Essentia executive team • Other Essentia executive and senior management colleagues • Trust COO team • Trust Sustainability Manager • Trust Health and Safety Manager • Trust Fire Officer • Head of Sterile Services • Head of Capital Development and the capital projects team • Head of Compliance • Head of Academy • Senior stakeholders in external partners and suppliers • External contractors • SNP • Departmental clinical leada
• IHEEM • NHSI/E
Strategic leadership • Develop long term strategies both for preventative maintenance and asset protection, capital and project programmes and the back-log programme and overseeing execution of these plans.
• Lead the development and implementation of engineering standard operating processes to support project and departmental objectives, compliant with ISO9001 and 14001.
Director of Engineering
• Provide strategic leadership and advice to Site Directors to ensure the delivery of an effective, high quality and cost effective service, to protect patients, staff and the organisation.
• Identify new opportunities for the development of the services arising from changes in the external/internal environments, both within and external to the NHS within the healthcare environment. Identify potential threats and ways to respond to them, including strategic opportunities for new service development.
• Develop quality, performance improvement and service transformation strategies to address organizational cost efficiency targets.
• Identify opportunities for delivery of greater efficiency and responsiveness of services, making best use of technology and mobility.
• Contribute to Trust-wide and Essentia wide service improvement projects within agreed time frames and financial targets.
• Ensure that the patient and patient safety is at the forefront of all strategic plans
• Establishing a robust recruitment plan covering multiple points of access, to ensure that the Trust has access to a range of recruitment options into technical specialties, via close liaison with HM Forces, universities, colleges and schools. Provision of technical advice Be a subject matter expert and work with
• Boilers and Heating Systems • LTHW / CHW Systems • Pressure Systems • Medical gases • Environmental Management • Fire Alarm Systems and Fire protection • Confined Spaces • High Voltage Systems • Building Management Systems • HV / LV Generator Systems • Lifts and Lifting Equipment • Ventilation • Drainage • Infrastructure and buildings maintenance
the Essentia Site Directors and senior management team, Trust directors and senior managers and external agencies (where appropriate), providing advice in delivering excellence and expertise in all aspects of engineering and estates, including but not limited to: • Electrical Engineering • Asbestos • Decontamination • Energy and utilities management • Health & Safety
• Water systems and Quality • Air Conditioning Systems • Fan Coil Units
Candidate Brochure 16
Operational responsibilities • Overarching responsibility for all statutory and HTM compliance, the management of asbestos, decontamination, CHP and energy management including devising and leading an energy management plan focused on consumption reduction.
• Ensure the maintenance of the fire systems and associated certification in line with the requirements of the fire strategy and both current legislation and HTMs.
• Manage and control the design and structure and content of the asset register and the CAFM system. • Lead on the development and implementation of structure and process for the effective interface with all project activities to ensure that appropriate communications, safety arrangements and operating procedures are in place, are timely and effective.
• Provide leadership and direction in the event of any major incidents that have an engineering dimension to the cause and/or resolution, even to the extent of taking control should the impact be of a serious nature and if requested.
• Identify efficiency savings both within the pay and non-pay budgets leading on implementing and monitoring these savings where appropriate.
• Responsibility for the shape and specification of the overall maintenance and organisation of technical equipment under Essentia’s management and control(including HVAC).
• Ensure all aspects of engineering and infrastructure technical requirements across the Trust are delivered through a structure of robust processes, procedures and associated policies, leading on changes of Trust’s policies and procedures where appropriate.
• Responsible for designing technical specifications, supporting project designs in accordance with contract requirements.
• Responsible for the continuing use and introduction of automation, technology and management systems to control and monitor plant, equipment and resources. Responsible for close liaison with IT and the expedient delivery of such systems to gain maximum benefit for the Trust. • Work with the Director of Performance and Improvement to introduce a performance management framework, ensuring that clear performance measures including stretch targets are in place and adhered to across all sites and services, consistent with external benchmarks. 17 Director of Engineering
• Provide regular reports to Directorate and Trust Board and /or committees reflecting technical/infrastructure issues affecting performance of the delivery of the engineering and infrastructure services to the Trust.
• Work in conjunction with the Director of Performance and Improvement and Trust Health and Safety Manager to produce specific health and safety policies and protocols and ensure implementation across engineering and infrastructure operations.
• Initiate and commission audits of operational services to ensure compliance and measure operational performance.
• Establish, interpret and lead on the implementation of relevant internal and external policies that relate to engineering.
• Work effectively with internal and external partners and suppliers, including the local community and other stakeholders, to achieve positive outcomes through collaborative partnerships.
• Take part in an on-call rota as appropriate.
Contract management • Responsible for the negotiating and performance management of external contracts relating to engineering and estates functions.
• Trusts within the ICS/STP are within the scope of this role, on whatever basis is agreed as required.
• Identify, build and develop an effective supply chain of responsive and innovative suppliers who are able to provide cost effective specialist services as part of the Essentia engineering and estates maintenance service.
• Identify and put in place supply chain arrangements that are scaleable in the context of the ICS/STP.
Candidate Brochure 18
Communications • Conduct high level, complex negotiations with customers, suppliers and statutory bodies.
• Build positive relationships with external stakeholders such as local building regulations officers, local technical colleges, universities, HM Forces liaison for retiring service personnel, and schools.
• Manage conflicting priorities and agendas of a diverse range of stakeholders which will require persuasion, negotiation and the ability to communicate with clarity on highly technical subjects. Use influence and complex stakeholder management skills at all levels to achieve role objectives.
• Provide complex technical information orally, electronically, in writing in a range of formats from service specifications to business cases and presentations.
• Provide and receive highly complex and sensitive information; translating highly complex technical information to a wide audience.
• Use highly developed interpersonal skills, on occasion within a hostile or emotive atmosphere.
• Communicate, influence and collaborate with a wide range of senior leaders on a wide range of issues; including Site Directors and other senior colleagues to ensure and effective and efficient provision of services.
• Ensure that effective two-way communication exists at all levels, encourage feedback and the generation of good ideas, creating a strong sense of common purpose and team work.
Financial management • Support Site Directors in the management of engineering budgets (revenue and backlog), and in the preparation of financial projections for bids for new services and costing of service requirements.
• Provide a high level of input and challenge to business plans, including corrective plans, where relevant.
Director of Engineering
• Support the Site Directors in ensuring that the resources and service standards allocated to engineering are properly and effectively deployed to deliver agreed outputs through set Key Performance Indicators.
• Manage the financial performance and day to day delivery of central engineering contracts.
• Oversee and authorize the completed PAM, the engineering and estates elements of ERIC, the backlog maintenance plan and the annual PPM plan.
• Manage bid resources and budgets to develop new business and respond to tenders as appropriate, and where required provide these services via a service agreement to Essentia Trading Ltd.
• Ensure that all staff in all areas for which the post holder is responsible comply with the Trust’s Standing Financial instructions and ensure the highest levels of probity and practice in all financial activity.
• Support Site Directors in providing operations business performance reporting to the Trust Board and to other Partners or clients: working as necessary with the Head of Investment and Resources to report via the corporate Governance channels.
• Develop plans with the Commercial team (where appropriate) to maximise income generation from existing and potential site operations assets/capability.
• Support the delivery of cost targets to achieve improved operational and process performance supported by comprehensive and robust data and reporting.
• Ensure directly managed staff comply with the Trust’s Standing Financial Instructions and ensure they are applied in all cases. In particular, ensure that contracts are managed with the highest standards of probity and good practice.
• To deliver and ensure that the backlog budget is allocated and spent in the fiscal year
• To ensure that the backlog model takes into account Trust wide requirements to build the five year look ahead for backlog
• Develop a strategy for equipment and asset replacement including environmental, sustainable energy efficient and cost improving options.
Candidate Brochure 20
Risk management • Ensure that all risks relating to engineering and infrastructure are identified, assessed and evaluated and recorded in the appropriate risk register. • Identify and develop Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and monitoring of effectiveness of the maintenance and engineering activities, including health and safety, quality and environment management information systems. This would include the reporting of workflow and the completion of work to SLA’s, including remedial actions relating to compliance checks.
• Lead on the development, population and maintenance of the maintenance and engineering information management systems (e.g. Planet).
• Produce management reports on a regular basis in an appropriate manner and format for the intended audience on statutory and HTM compliance as well as compliance with agreed performance targets.
• Ensure the production and presentation of a variety of reports on a periodic basis to support Essentia’s reporting obligations to GSTT and to external customers.
• Assist senior managers with in depth review and investigation of incidents, undertaking analysis and being conversant with any emerging trends or changes in incident profile of the organisation, in order to adopt any learning to mitigate future risk.
• Ensure that action points from incident reviews are followed up as required and that incidents are closed on Datix when fully complete, updating and interrogating the Trust’s Risk Management Information System (Datix) as required.
• Ensure that the Essentia Executive team fully understands the impact of decisions made from an engineering perspective
Performance management • Support a culture of high performance standards through effective standard setting and monitoring across all areas via the use of real time data and reporting using the CAFM system, setting agreed annual, quarterly and monthly targets.
• Ensure that business processes and capability are streamlined to maximise the benefits of working across varying service teams, where there are specific patient, safety and efficiency benefits.
Director of Engineering
• Focus all services on performance and outcomes for patients, ensuring that agreed performance standards are achieved and instilling a culture of continuous performance improvement, innovation and efficiency. Apply a similarly rigorous approach to the provision of service to Essentia external clients and partners. • Monitor that all agreed operational targets and service level agreements in place with the Trust, partners and other clients are met, with specific emphasis on performance, quality and achieving best value. Put in place recovery plans where performance falls below agreed performance standards.
• Ensure the effective monitoring and management of operational risk in site service teams and client sites and liaise with the Director of Performance and Improvement on risk management.
Team management • Ensure that team structures and individuals employed within services managed are organised to achieve maximum effectiveness in delivering Trust, SBU, ICS/STP and Essentia objectives.
• Ensure that an effective performance management system operates for individuals line managed at all levels, ensuring that staff are effectively developed within a performance appraisal framework including personal development plans.
• Ensure compliance with all mandatory training and optimal completion of Trust/NHS staff surveys.
Candidate Brochure 22
Leadership and Organisational Development • Actively promote good communication and employee engagement throughout the Essentia workforce, exemplifying the values and behaviours of the Trust and the Essentia Way.
• Promote and encourage ‘one team’ working across Essentia, breaking down management barriers and divisions that have developed over time across Essentia.
• Support the reconfiguration of working practices and strategic resource levels required to achieve on going optimum flexibility in the workforce to service anticipated and existing business.
• Invest in the development of all directly and professionally accountable employees.
• Put in place relationships with technical colleges and universities to develop significant annual recruitment streams for apprenticeship, technician and graduate level entry and to ensure and the training and development of people already part of Essentia or the Trust. This in time should be scaleable across the ICS/STP.
• Contribute through visible leadership the promotion of a fair and just culture that ensures that Essentia is responsive to the needs of diverse staff.
• Contribute to talent management and succession planning across Essentia.
Corporate responsibilities • Represent Essentia at trust level senior management meetings as required.
• Represent Essentia and the trust at ICS, regional and national levels as and when required.
• Actively promote and champion the equality, diversity and inclusion ambitions of the Trust and Essentia.
• Contribute to Essentia corporate management and strategic development together with other executive colleagues.
• Participate, and on occasion lead, negotiations with external providers and enhance the Essentia brand working in conjunction with other colleagues.
Director of Engineering
• Take responsibility for the delivery of specific change and transformation projects on behalf of the Director of Essentia, potentially Essentia-wide and beyond.
Personal Development • Ensure that professional knowledge is continuously updated and training undertaken if appropriate.
• Participate in an annual performance review process where objectives will be agreed, performance monitored and personal development needs discussed.
Other • From time to time, to provide support to Essentia colleagues undertaking other duties as required, which are consistent with the grade and nature of the post. The role includes work on special projects as they arise.
• Strict adherence to departmental health and safety regulations and requirements.
• Any other duties appropriate to the role.
• Requirement to work at any other site used by the Trust, partners or clients.
Candidate Brochure 24
Qualifications/Education MBA qualification, or equivalent professional qualification or experience
Master’s degree, and additional in-depth professional training and knowledge of financial management, performance management, transformation and service improvement, to doctorate or equivalent level, acquired through training and experienced over an extended period
Evidence of continued professional and managerial development
Professional Registration Relevant professional registration
Previous Experience Extensive experience of leadership and achievement at senior level in a in a large, complex environment. Extensive, in-depth experience of formulating long term, organisation-wide strategic plans and development of projects resulting in positive value for money outcomes, adjusting plans and strategies in anticipation of complex environmental and political changes Experience of organisation-wide policy development, interpreting complex legislative and other requirements Extensive experience of leading and managing change to improve performance against KPIs. Extensive experience of delivering successful transformation and implementing innovation in practice. Extensive experience of strategic financial management. Highly developed understanding of planning, scheduling and management within a complex environment
Director of Engineering
Skills/Knowledge/ Ability Extensive in-depth knowledge and application of change management & organisational development tools and techniques Excellent in-depth understanding and specialist knowledge of improvement methodology, tools and techniques Highly developed communication skills, with ability to communicate highly complex and sensitive information where barriers to understanding exist and exceptional influencing skills are required. Highly developed leadership skills with the ability to enthuse, motivate and involve individuals and teams, and have them understand the Trust-wide and local performance expectations. Track record of effective engagement and partnership working with senior internal and external stakeholders. Highly developed negotiating skills within complex, challenging and at times antagonistic environments. Ability to analyse, synthesise and interpret highly complex data, filtering and interpreting often conflicting information to develop Trust-wide policy Intellectual flexibility with the ability to cut through ambiguity and complexity and to shape and implement a vision that looks beyond existing structures, ways of working, boundaries and organisations to produce more effective and innovative service delivery models. Independent self-starter, able to work with a very high level of autonomy. Strong drive for performance and improvement. Proven strong written communication skills, in particular for complex drafting, and ability to produce & present effective business cases. Highly developed listening skills and the ability to build excellent interpersonal relationships within and outside GSTT Sound political judgment and sensitivity when dealing with stakeholders at all levels, with
a strong ability to influence where expert opinions differ Flexible and resilient approach, able to work under pressure Team player, able to motivate and inspire
Additional Information Commitment to the Essentia Way - working together, doing it well and looking after each other
Candidate Brochure 26
WORKING FOR ESSENTIA AND GSTT
Health, wellness & recreation
At Guy’s and St Thomas’ you’ll be surrounded by an exceptional team of supportive colleagues. Their skill, passion and pride in what they do will inspire you and their encouragement will give you confidence. Our staff surveys tell us that people enjoy working here. We consistently feature as one of the top trusts in the country to work for and are proud to have the Investors in People Gold Standard. As a member of Essentia and GSTT staff, you’ll be provided with a competitive salary and pension scheme, generous annual leave, excellent training and development opportunities as well as numerous other attractive benefits to help actively encourage a positive, diverse, healthy and family friendly culture in our workplace.
• Access to staff gym at St Thomas’ Hospital and a 25m swimming pool at Guy’s Hospital • A comprehensive staff health and well-being programme, ‘5 ways to a healthier YOU’ • Employee assistance programme • Free staff counselling service • Sleepio programme • Free eye tests • Free stop smoking service • Free access to physiotherapy • Access to weight management programme • Headspace app • Weight Management Programme • Happier@Work Programme • On-site cinemas for patients and staff Total benefits worth c. £750
• Life Insurance Cover • Ill Health Severance Cover • Company Pension
• 27 days (plus bank holidays) when you start • 29 days (plus bank holidays) after five years service • 33 days (plus bank holidays) after 10 years service • Plus the opportunity to buy and sell annual leave each year
Contribution (14.3% employer contribution)
• Season ticket loans • Salary sacrifice schemes Total benefits worth between £14,000 to £18,000 depending on salary level
27 Programme Director Director of Performance & Improvement
Education, training and development support
• Leaders at Essentia are eligible to undertake the Level 7 MA Senior Leader Masters Degree Apprenticeship (SLMDA) delivered by Pearson Business School accredited by the University of Kent (T&Cs apply) Total benefit worth c. £18,000 for term of course
• Subsidised on-site nursery • Childcare vouchers • Flexible working policy • Support for carers
• Access to the Thomas Guy sports and social club • Fundraising and volunteering opportunities with the Guys’ and St Thomas’ Charities
GSTT has an active commitment to equality and diversity, welcoming people of all backgrounds, nationalities and religions. We are recognised as a healthcare leader by Stonewall and the Trust is a disability confident employer.
Further information working at GSTT can be viewed here.
Candidate Brochure 28 Brochure 28
Director of Essentia
Director of Operations (Supported by Site Directors)
Director of Performance & Improvement
• Site based soft FM Management • Site based hard FM Management
Director of Estate Development
• Employee Engagement • Disability Discrimination • Operational Contracts Management • Customer Service / Telephony • Internal and External Customer Relationships • Operational Services Contracts • Backlog & Minor Works Management • Setting standards and policy for Hard and Soft FM • Sustainability • Fire Safety Management
• Technical Assurance & Compliance • ISO accreditation • Risk Management & QA • Quality Standards • Data collection & reporting • Operational Financial Management • Workforce & Essentia Academy • Business Planning • Improvement & Efficiency Programme • ERIC and Model Hospital returns and analytics • Procurement (incl Capital Procurement)
• Adaptable Estate Design Standards • Contractor/Developer Partnerships • Private sector financing • Adaptable Estate Delivery Management • Commercial & Legal Negotiation with Developers • Tenant Procurement & Negotiation
Director of Engineering
Asset Management Director
• Project Planning oversight • Governance and Oversight • Capital and Operational Interdependencies • Capital Programme monitoring • External relationships monitoring/ management • Administrative Management and agenda planning • Strategic capital /
Director of Design & Development
• Estate Strategy Development • Strategic planning of healthcare estate • Property and Asset Management • Space Management • Commercial management of assets • Landlord and tenant relationships • Planning approval
• Technical Design
Standards for capital projects • Strategic and functional planning • Design Management • Fit-out ·Contractor Management • Commissioning & Handover • Technical Supervision • Infrastructure Design and Planning • Internal & Public Stakeholder Engagement • Programme Office & Resource pool (capital)
oversight and benefits realization reporting
management (decision making) • Corporate support & risk management
Candidate Brochure 30
Essentia is being supported on this recruitment campaign by the search consultancy The Management Recruitment Group
To arrange a confidential briefing conversation please contact our advisors
Michael Hewlett firstname.lastname@example.org and Matt Giles email@example.com of MRG on 0203 962 9900
Director of Engineering
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV of not more than 4 pages and a covering letter of not more than 2 pages Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Sunday 14th February.
Candidate Brochure 32Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35 Page 36
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker