Residences Manager Wolverhampton
Candidate information pack
We have over 24,000 beds under management across 51 residences in the UK.
Our accommodation is in prime locations across 19 major university towns and cities. In line with trends in student living, the majority of our rooms are en-suite with shared kitchens and social areas. The remainder are non-ensuite rooms. All our rooms are situated in high-quality, modern residences with, on average, 400 or more bedrooms, providing us with the scale we need to manage our assets effectively and efficiently. Our aim is to create the best environment for students to thrive; well-located, well-priced, social and secure accommodation with outstanding facilities. We serve first to final year, domestic and international students and aim to provide extremely high levels of service to both students and our educational institution partners. We are a trusted partner to more than 40 educational institutions who rely on us to provide best-in-class student accommodation and facilities, so they can focus on delivering world-leading education. Our financial strength, operational track record and high quality of service are key differentiators when educational institutions are selecting accommodation partners. We are founding members of the ANUK code, which sets high standards for the management of student accommodation, and are highly-regarded across the industry for our superior service standards.
We’ve thought about everything, from Wi-Fi right through to laundry, we make the process of moving in and living with us as simple as possible for our students. All of our facilities are the best of the best, with all our properties offering: Totally secure living environment, Modern kitchens, Free Wi-Fi, Post services, On-site laundry and Bike storage.
Our values are simple, but they’re present in everything we do. We believe in: • Putting safety first • Passion for service
• Commitment to excellence
• Respect for people
• Fun for all
Alongside these core values, we also provide equal opportunities in lines with employment laws (but also just because it’s the right thing to do!).
This means we don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or on any other basis prohibited by law – because we genuinely think that’s the right approach to take.
Basically, we aim to extend our welcoming approach to our customers, to our staff and any potential staff, too.
Administration, Housekeeping staff and Security Staff Student Experience Reps
Students/Parents, Central Sevrice Staff, Universities/Colleges, Suppliers and Contractors, Other Residence Managers
Residence Manager - your role
You will have responsibility for the daily management of your allocated residence(s) under the direction of the Operations Manager (OM). You will be responsible for ensuring a high standard of customer service is provided at all times to maximise revenue generation, which will be achieved through the delivery of residence services and effective staff management. The close working relationship with the Residence Management team is critical to the success of this role and the city. The ability to manage, coach and develop the team is important, as is the development of relationships with clients. Therefore, the ability to communicate effectively at all levels, plan your time effectively and have an organised approach to working is essential. Ensuring that the residence runs efficiently and cost effectively in line with company policies and procedures, financial management will be a significant focus of the role in conjunction with the Operations Manager, with responsibility for daily management of budgets, P&L and cost control.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
• Actively support new and existing business and revenue generating opportunities by working with the OM to manage the student renewal and expansion process. • Ensure student retention and revenue generating opportunities through the delivery of a high standard of customer service. • Maximise residence occupancy to meet and exceed targets, including building and maintaining a summer rental business. • Instigate and/or wholly participate in promotional & marketing activities. • Complete sales viewings.
• Develop and maintain relationships with the University/College. • Ensure that a high level of customer service and satisfaction is achieved through managing and meeting customers’ expectations and service levels, and in line with the National Code
of Standards and Liberty Living’s own procedures. • Provide pastoral care and support to residents. • Manage all customer and parent complaints. • Provide mediation support during disputes between customers.
• Be fully conversant with the residences’ Mental Health awareness protocols; be able to direct students to specialist resources and be able to deal with emergency situations if they arise. • Assist with the coordination of Student Experience events. • Manage the client move-in and client move-out process to provide a smooth transition for the client whilst ensuring all administrative, operational and financial aspects are completed to a high standard. Under the direction of the OM and with assistance from your HR Representative, where appropriate: • Manage the team in all aspects from coordinating recruitment, performance management, communication and employee relations within the guidelines defined by HR in line with employment legislation. • Keep HR, the OM and the ROM advised of all recruitment requirements. • Introduce and maintain high levels of team spirit and be a team player. • Ensure that there is effective delegation to meet the needs of the clients and the operation. • Establish regular communication with the team including individual performance reviews and team meetings. • Manage holiday requests ensuring adequate cover for the residence at all times. • Ensure that holiday requests are recorded via the appropriate HR on-line portal, providing appropriate training to their team to allow self-sufficiency in requesting and maintaining their holiday records. • Ensuring that all sickness and other absence is reported immediately to HR. • Manage poor performance and absence management in line with HR procedures and guidelines. • Where appropriate, manage a team of resident Student Advisers who provide pastoral care and operational services for the residence. Team Management
• Daily management of the residence to the high standards by interpreting and implementing policies and procedures as laid down by Liberty Living. • Manage all aspects of administration within the residence including electronic and paper-based systems. • Maintain full and up-to-date knowledge of the Company’s policies, procedures and common practices. Informing the OM and/or the HR Team of any concerns they may have in relation to suspected gaps in that knowledge. • Ensuring that all relevant staff are trained and competent in the Company’s policies and procedures. • Ensure daily night services log has been checked and appropriate action taken. • Ensure all processes carried out are compliant with GDPR and Liberty Living’s Data Protection Policies, and that the team are knowledgeable of their responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulations. • Maintain profitability of the residence by maintaining and increasing occupancy and service revenue in line with the budget and targets. • Assist the preparation of residences budgets. • Implementation of financial controls having full and up-to-date knowledge of the finance system in line with financial operating procedures laid down by Liberty Living. • Effective and accurate credit control to ensure no outstanding debt on client accounts, taking remedial actions to collect outstanding debt in line with policies and procedures of Liberty Living. • Use of internal finance package, Kinetic Solutions, to input financial information and to extract important financial information. • Assist the OM in the processing of invoices in line with company procedures as set out by Liberty Living. • Maintain full and up-to-date knowledge of the Company’s banking procedures and ensure all relevant staff are competent in the receipt of payments within the residence. • Financial management through full and correct receipting and use of the WPM system. Daily banking and reconciliation of all payments, liaising with the Accounts Department accordingly. • Manage petty cash for the residences ensuring regular reconciliation and correct authorisation for use. • To work with and assist the OM in procuring goods and services in accordance with the company’s procedures, using nominated suppliers where feasible and following the procedure for sourcing contractors, completing reactive tasks, contracting with service Financial Management
providers and managing supplier relationships in line with policy.
Health and Safety Management
• Manage all aspects of Health & Safety of the residences from both client and staff perspectives, ensuring the team are trained to the required standard. • Follow policies and procedures dictated by current H&S legislation under the guidance of the Liberty Living’s Health & Safety Committee. • Ensure health and safety checks are completed including fire alarm testing, emergency light testing, monthly checks, emergency equipment and emergency evacuation practices. • Assist the OM in completing and reviewing staff Risk Assessments. • Manage the reporting of incidents, accidents and near misses that occur on site or in relation to staff/customers/visitors, following escalation procedures and in collaboration with the OM and ROM. • Responsibility for ensuring staff are trained and always aware of their duties as set out in the Emergency Action Plan.
Information Technology and Communications
• Manage the IT and Telecommunications service delivery and infrastructure in line with Liberty Living guidelines. • Ensure staff have a full understanding of and undertake compliant working practices in relation to online security, PCI DSS and GDPR. • Responsibility for the security and safe use of portable company IT equipment (including mobile phones, iPads, post tablets, inspection tablets).
Planning and Organising
• Effective planning and organising of time and tasks in line with needs of residences and the business as dictated by the Operations Manager. • Adherence to reporting deadlines as laid down by the Operations Manager. • Time and movement management of self and team to ensure adequate staff and manage- ment cover of the centre.
Maintaining Management Standards
• Implementation of (and ensuring the residence’s adherence to) the Company’s systems and processes for monitoring standards within the residence, by way of ‘Management by Walking Around’ (MBWA). • Conducting monthly MBWA inspections within the residence.
Managing the Residence and Emergencies Outside of Normal Working Hours
• Attending and managing the residence, during pre-defined weekends, in order to facilitate ‘Check-ins’, ‘Check-outs’, ‘Open Days’, ‘Summer Business’ etc. • Act as the principal contact, via telephone, for emergencies within the residence, both during and outside of normal working hours, • Keep the Operations Manager fully informed of any emergencies at the residence. • Attend the residence, as required, outside of normal working hours in order to effectively manage emergencies. • Ensure that security staff (in-house and external) are sufficiently trained to deal with all situations short of genuine emergencies.
Training Coaching and Development
• Develop and coach team members in line with the requirements of both the residence and the business, ensuring self-perpetuating teams that are multi-skilled. • Provide and recommend training and development as part of the performance appraisal system.
Site Presentation and Summer Period
• Play a key role during the client move-in and client move-out process to provide a smooth transition for the client whilst ensuring all administrative, operational and financial aspects are completed to a high standard. • Be responsible for issuing and retrieving keys and swipe cards to students/customers during the move in/move out process. • Assisting the team by helping to maintain high levels of site cleanliness and presentation, including internal and external areas of the residence, to the standard required by the company. • Assist with regular room/building maintenance checks to include resident move in/move out process. • Assisting with the preparation of resident accommodation at the end of each tenancy agreement ready of the new arrivals. • During the summer/turn-around period, all staff are required to contribute and help to get the site ready for summer business and/or the new arrivals. This may include physically demanding activities, such as helping to move/remove furniture, domestic equipment and appliances associated with a large accommodation environment.
• Smart appearance in line with the Liberty Living brand dress code.
Education and Qualifications
• Minimum: Educated to NVQ level 3 and/or GCSE level A – C standard, or equivalent. Ideally educated to A level standard or equivalent. • A recognised qualification in Business Administration would be an advantage.
• Previous experience in a management capacity in a client facing service industry. Previous team management experience. • Previous financial knowledge including budgeting, credit and cost control. Ideally with previous business development / sales and/or facilities experience.
• Strong ability to problem-solve, delegate, multi-task, plan and organise. • A strong communicator with a direct and open style. • Enthusiasm and drive with evidence of “going the extra mile” coupled with strong client focus, a flexible and resilient attitude. • Demonstrates an understanding of the business.
• Self motivated. Dynamic. Professional. Resilient.
Effective Persuasive Communication Skills
A strong communicator with a direct and open style. You must be able to: • communicate confidently, fluently and logically. • hold others’ attention when speaking. • change people’s views and influence their decision.
• A good working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook. • A good working knowledge of Kinetics would be an advantage or within 6 months of joining the Company. • Acquiring good comprehension and utilisation of other databases/systems (as introduced by the Company from time to time), which are required to improve standards/performance/ services at the residence; within 6 months of introduction. • Operational understanding with the ability to coach and advise staff on the use of all IT systems, including CAFM, WPM, Incident log, CRM, OneDrive, Skype and Litmos.
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours as determined by the needs of the business. • Ability to work days, evenings and weekends including bank holidays as required during busy periods. • Ability to attend meetings and occasional training sessions, which may be conducted outside of your normal working hours; travel within the UK and possibly overnight accommodation.
Applications should consist of a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4).
Applications should be sent to Charlotte Turedi (email@example.com) or Hayley Mintern (firstname.lastname@example.org).Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker